USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

bolt striped right case coming off, should i rebuild the waterpump?

Hey guys just bought an 06 450r, the previous owner was a complete moron and stripped the transmission overflow bolt.  I will be pulling the case off to tap a new hole, ive heard the water pump can cause problems.  Should i rebuild it since i have the case already off?  And if so, should i replace the shaft, or just seal and bearings?  Thanks for your guys help.

First things first- the trans overflow bolt shouldn't be used for measuring, it's inaccurate. 650-750ml's from completely drained.

Second- you remove the case cover to fix that stripped bolt. Your not actually splitting the case or going in deep enough for a rebuild.

The water pump- if it's not leaking out of its weep hole(the tiny hole under the water pump on the bottom of the motor) then I wouldn't f with it.

Btw welcome to TT sir!

If you don't know something the search bar will hook you up with endless reading.

If your bike is real noisy when idling then that's a good indicator that the counter balancer bearings are shot. When the cb goes out the your water pump will go out as it's what turns it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, the info on this site is just awesome.  So would you suggest not to mess with tapping a new hole.  Just lock tight the bolt, and measure the amount of oil to add?  At what level does the overflow bolt read?

Thanks for the response, the info on this site is just awesome. So would you suggest not to mess with tapping a new hole. Just lock tight the bolt, and measure the amount of oil to add? At what level does the overflow bolt read?

Overflow bolt cannot be trusted. Yeah loc tight a bolt in there if possible and forget about that thing. Yup! 700ml In each side in a measuring cup and you'll be golden!