Sign in to follow this  

Gold flakes in frame screen - Found this...

Bike running good, but found a lot of gold coloured flakes in the frame screen. 
Poped the clutch cover and found what you see in the picture at the bottom of the case and under the bottom sceen. Not good I know, but where did it come from?    :excuseme: 

Pretty fitting that I'm a TT Bronze member.......

crapinengine.jpg

Edited by no66

650Ls have lots of odd things about them.. :lol::devil:

oops,,Xr600., :facepalm:

Edited by Horri

I found very similar gold coloured pieces just after the big end on my xr250 grenaded,

that was running good right up to when it went bang , 

my guess is those pieces are the remains of your big end thrust washers , looks like bottom end rebuild time ,

Bingo. Thrustwashers. Stop running her now, you could get away with just a new rod pressed in. Rod, pressing, gaskets. Minimum.

Trust me, i just went through this. Itll keep running. And you'll keep riding, making your rebuild more expensive. Split cases asap.

A good idea to measure everything to spec And replace if out of spec. A good rule of thumb is new rings and cam chain regardless. But there's lots of things worth replacing at 20 years old. Especially if you don't want split cases again. Ie; new main bearings,tranny bearings, maybe some gears, oil seals, etc.

Its not that bad. Dont worry. Now youl have a brand new motor

This practically is a brand new motor.... Rebuilt last spring and only done about 3000 km's. New bearings, gears, seals, crank etc etc..... Major bummer. 

Got to find out why this has happened. Bike runs well and smooth. Good job I stopped after I found a lot of flakes. 

Got it out of the frame and will have it split by monday evening. 

Edited by no66