Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Ok, what is going on? Is RV in or out or retired?

Ok so i just listened to the newest pulp show on Friday and according to everyone on the show. DV, Pingree, Alberston, Matthes (Cianciarulo danced around it). They say RV is NOT racing. Jason Thomas even said on his twitter that he is standing by what he said. Jason Thomas ‏@Jason66Thomas  14h

@chevjoe I stand by it. We will see who's right in the end

I guess his knee needs work. And there is some fire to the retirement rumors. 

I guess the "big announcement" that was supposed to happen Friday is now moved to Monday. 

According to Ping, and from the people he knows. Today's race could be RV's last...............ever. 

Sounds like RV is done. But behind the scenes stuff is keeping him from coming out and saying it. 

I don't know what's going on right now. I guess we will have to wait for an "outdoor" announcement Monday. 

Edited by Racer_ex

I thought he had this year and next year on his contract, then he was walking away. ????

He was in practice yesterday.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/villopoto-soars-over-competition

"Ryan Villopoto practices at Sam Boyd Stadium on Friday, May 2, 2014, for the AMA Supercross season finale at the stadium in Las Vegas on May 3, 2014. Villopoto recently wrapped up his fourth title in a row, becoming just the second rider to accomplish that feat. (Jacob Kepler/Las Vegas Review-Journal)"

"His contract with Monster Energy Kawasaki expires after next season, and Villopoto could seek other challenges. He is intrigued by the idea of driving trucks in short-course races."

That fifth gear straight to a right turn and dozen jump rythm section could look like an outdoor season ender to Kawasaki, skip it. That wouldn't look good to fans, so they might just make an excuse at the last minute. RV needed 17th place last week to clinch and killed it. I would NOT be shocked to see him go for the hole shot and the win at Vegas.

Edited by Kev_XR
  • Like 2

Matthes quote from an article. 

"I’m not sure why or what prompted him to declare he’s racing this summer but he’s most definitely out and that news should drop any day (and maybe by the time you read this) which leaves Monster Kawasaki in need of a rider to fill-in for Villopoto.

Although I suppose you can never really fill a rider like Villopoto’s shoes right? The hot rumor is Brett Metcalfe will be stepping right into the team and leaving his Canadian Kawasaki team behind." 

Edited by Racer_ex

Nobody knows for sure if he's riding outdoors or not. He does have a minor knee injury that will require surgery at some point.

He's definitely not retiring until next year, that I can guarantee.

Nobody knows for sure if he's riding outdoors or not. He does have a minor knee injury that will require surgery at some point.

Could you explain why he says "yes" and literally everyone else says "no".? What's keeping him from being honest? Why doesn't he just say, "There are some issues and i'm just not sure at this point in time"? Why pussyfoot? 

Is contracts/sponsors/team keeping him from being honest or straight up? Or is he really just unsure if he's racing or not and for the mean time is just telling everyone yes to keep them happy? 

Is RV aware of what people are saying? Does he know that Matthes/JT/Weege etc are all saying what's going on behind the scenes? It seems to me like RV isn't aware of the internet and how much information gets out these days.

Like you said,, no one really knows. Maybe he will race and the team/doctors haven't made a decision. So it's all just speculation. But everything is pointing to the latter.......

To sum it all up. What is the benefit of him being so damn secretive? Reminds me of Stewart when he was at L&M. 

Make some calls and get us some info damnit. lol Seriously though, thanks for the info you have now. 

Edited by Racer_ex

I sure hope you are right.

They eluded to the fact that he hasn't been testing for outdoors and that all the behind the scene stuff to get ready for outdoors isn't happening. They seem pretty confident that he won't be racing outdoors.

I don't know how the inner workings of being owned by a team and sponsors works but I'm sure they have something to do with his response, saying that he is racing outdoors.

From what I've gathered I don't think he cares what people are saying about him online or anywhere else.

To sum it all up. What is the benefit of him being so damn secretive? Reminds me of Stewart when he was at L&M. 

What is the benefit if being open with everyone?       RV has never been as open as James.  So if James keeps secrets, you can surely expect that RV has quite a few as well.

From what I've gathered I don't think he cares what people are saying about him online or anywhere else.

Probably cares, but can't control it all that much.   They don't owe us anymore than they already give us.

if he races, he races.   He's the best and the fans always want to see the best guys competing.

• Like 1

Would not hurt my feelings one bit to see RV skip outdoors.  Probably got a big bonus lined up in that Kawi SX contract for winning another championship next year.  Better for him to be 100% healthy for SX than to even consider racing the outdoors money wise.  Time to get the knee work done now.  

Also better for us watching it.  With RV out the racing gets better.  Everyone thinks they have a shot at the title, and they do.

I want him in the Des nations. Shit!

I know i do too, id like to see him and Carrioli go head to head on a equal track with both being in their prime.

I know i do too, id like to see him and Carrioli go head to head on a equal track with both being in their prime.

Pfft.   Carrioli and Poto went at it in 2007.    Poto wrecked him, and everyone else out there, including Carmichael.

• Like 4

I'll stir the conspiracy theory pot a little!

Villopoto "might" be retiring....

KRoc just happens to be in the final year of his contract with KTM...

KRoc just happens to join Villopoto's training camp with AC (yet another Kwasaki rider) under Aldon Baker.

Kawasaki will have a lot of $$$ to spend on another 450 guy "if" Villopoto retires.

My thought....RCH is a smoke screen for the rumor mill. Roczen replaces a retired Villopoto on team green.

Sure he's still under contract with KTM and Kawasaki can't talk to him yet about joining (I am assuming), but that doesn't mean Villopoto and Aldon Baker can't discuss it with him and told him what "might" be happening....

Food for thought??? Just coincidence???  :thinking:

• Like 2

If Poto doesn't race I guess it's another asterisk season.

Nah..... No such thing, especially this season. To many really great racers on the gate. Question is, how many will make it through the entire season?

I guess the "big announcement" that was supposed to happen Friday is now moved to Monday. 

He is coming out of the closet.

• Like 1

Matthes claimed on his pulp cast pre race show that Vegas is RV's LAST race. He legitimately claimed this is RV's last race

Matthes. "This is it, this is his farewell race, we're never going to see him again". 

Edited by Racer_ex

Yes, I heard the same thing from Reed. I guess he has some inside knowledge or maybe just a educated guess. Either way I think Poto is done. :cry:

• Like 1