Sign in to follow this  

Whats the best endure bike to buy? Please help

Hi all,

Really hoping to get some advise. Im wanting to buy a 450 for green laning in the uk. Ive been looking at all the bike reviews and still can't decide which one to go for. Im liking pretty much all of the the same (ktm honda suzuki kawasaki yamaha) so don't know which one is best?

Ive also been wondering the difference on the motocross bike compared to the road legal versions but can't really seem to find any info on a comparison. Is there much difference performance wise on the mx vs the road legal version? And would you recommend a mx bike that has been road registered?

I currently ride a ktm 240f for mx only and want to keep the bike for mx.

Im wanting this new bike for green laning, possibly putting some supermoto tyres on to play on the roads and also (if its possible) take to my local mx practise mx track.

Im not a pro rider or anything like that just enjoy riding a bike when i can, so i probably won't feel much difference in slight changes in the bike? As long as the bike is nice and torquey throws the front wheel up and kinda light I'm one very happy man!!

Any info would be amazing.

Sorry for long message!!

Cheers!

MX bikes are built for MX track use, and designed to get up to their top speeds quite quickly, as in an mx track straight away. They do this with a close ratio transmission. Off road, and street built bikes will use a wide ratio transmission to achieve a higher top speed in longer straights. An MX bike on the street is a blast, and will completely demolish any other bike in short bursts, as it blasts through the gears, but the others will catch, and pass it on the open stretches. Gearing the MX for longer gear changes will help. A Super moto setup on an MX bike is wicked! I have a KTM 525sx on the road, with both dirt, and sm setups. The transmission has been converted to a 6 speed. I go through the first 4 gears quite quickly, and accelerate very rapidly, then once I'm in 5th, and 6th I just cruise at highway speeds with ease

• Like 1

MX bikes are built for MX track use, and designed to get up to their top speeds quite quickly, as in an mx track straight away. They do this with a close ratio transmission. Off road, and street built bikes will use a wide ratio transmission to achieve a higher top speed in longer straights. An MX bike on the street is a blast, and will completely demolish any other bike in short bursts, as it blasts through the gears, but the others will catch, and pass it on the open stretches. Gearing the MX for longer gear changes will help. A Super moto setup on an MX bike is wicked! I have a KTM 525sx on the road, with both dirt, and sm setups. The transmission has been converted to a 6 speed. I go through the first 4 gears quite quickly, and accelerate very rapidly, then once I'm in 5th, and 6th I just cruise at highway speeds with ease

Amazing, thanks for that advice. Is the gearing an easy fix as changing the rear sprocket or does it require more of a technical change? How do you find the 525? is it any good off road i.e. on mx tracks? is there any age to watch out for on those bikes as i am quite keen on them?

thanks again

DUDE!!!! The SX is an MX bike! All I have to do is pull the lights, and plate off, and a racing it will go! A day in the woods, however and the stiff suspension beats me up. I had an XR 250 before the KTM. It had a close ratio 6 speed transmission. With stock gearing it was lacking on the roads. From a stoplight, you would have to shift into 3rd by the time you made it through the intersection! I raised the sprocket size in the front, and dropped it a lot in the rear, which made for a drastic gear change.  The bike became very civilized and fun on the streets! Out on the open roads, cruising along at about 55 mph was fine, but you had to click it down a gear for long hills. In the bush, the street gearing was OK, but any serious day of bush riding, I would drop the front sprocket size down one tooth, to make the bike work real good in the woods. I sold that bike because I felt guilty running it down the open road for the 25 miles round trip to town, as I live in the country. The KTM does it with ease, but can be a handful in the bush with all the power it has on tap. Read up on the bigger KTMs, especially on the older rfs motors, and you'll find they fare pretty well

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS

Different models are targeting at different consumer's needs. What are your needs? When I think enduro, I think WR-R, or something like the aforementioned KTM....