Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR 250R Kickstarter

Hey,

My name is Rob,I am new to the forum,posting anyway as I do read it a lot.I really enjoy all of the useful info posted.Last Saturday while out riding with some friends.I went to start my bike,and the kick starter completely failed.It took out the outer,AND inner engine cases.Bike does not really have that much time on it,and has never had any problems as far as jamming or anything unusual.I talked to a guy while hunting for cases,and he said he has seen this happen.Is this something that just "happens"?

No one I have talked to in my circle of riders has really seen anything like this . So now I am buying a set of new cases through my honda dealer and basically rebuilding the entire engine.Please let me know your thoughts on this,and more importantly,if it's preventable .

Thanks

-Rob

Removed the engine today in prep for rebuilding.Upon disassembly I discovered the crankshaft nut and one of the bolts that hold the stator in place we're laying in the bottom of the case.The case is cracked,and everything is beat up in there.Apparently they have been in there for a while.When I started the bike apparently one of the fasteners jammed the rotating assembly and the force caused the case on the starter side to fail.

What really hurts is that I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago after selling my XR400R. Bike was advertised as pristine low hours etc.I thought I looked it over well.It ran like hell and did seem to be in great shape,no case wear ,plastic like new.Well I guess a fool and their money soon part.Another example of buying a used piece of s&$@ from some unscrupulous bass terd.