Sign in to follow this  

What is wrong with my rear wheel

I've been notice weird movement in the rear of the bike for the last few days. After inspecting the rear I noticed that the rear wheel has some side to side play. I took a video.

I assume this is not normal. When the tire moves like this I can't see where the movement is coming from. Anyone have any ideas? Did I blow a bearing or something?

Holy. If thats bad bearings then I replace mine long long long before they get that bad. Take the wheel off and rotate the bearings with your finger. If they are notchy (or if they fall apart when the wheel comes off :D ) then replace. Check your spokes too but I bet bearings will be bad. Might be a combo of both?

Still learning here folks... Will loose spokes really cause that much movement? I assume due to lack of tension on the rim?

Looks like loose spokes to me.  Grab the spokes directly, you will feel the movement.  You will need to inspect the rim and the hub for excess wear due to loose spokes. And if the spoke nipples are seized, you you will need to re-spoke the wheel with new spokes.

good lord $100 bucks  thats insane lol   i think i read on here somewhere a while back of some fellow members using a similar tool that did the job for way cheaper    i cant rememeber off hand what they used.  itll come to me eventually  in the mean time congrats on figuring out the problem.  I know too many riders who ride stuff until it breaks.  im talking not torquing nuts, run brake pads down to the clips, never changing fluids  and running tires passed bald.  buying used is kinda scary sometimes  but usually within 5 minutes i figure out if the guy is full of crap

You will get a lot of debate about spoke torque wrenches here. I believe that those that say they are not necessary are in the majority. I am in the other camp. I will use a torque wrench any time I can find a spec for something. I know that I am an amateur mechanic and I feel better having a specification and using it.

I also think that any tool is rarely a waste of money.

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

However if you just plan to tighten and or replace “some” spokes, a torque wrench will not help that much. Most of the threads are probably gummed up to some extent making readings inaccurate.If you are starting with a set of new spokes, anti-seize the threads and use a torque wrench.

I just pulled an old wheel apart in preparation for installing new rims and all new spokes. I could not believe how screwed up the old spokes were. I had to use a cut off wheel and cut several of them out. I would heartily recommend all new spokes, that way you are doing it right.

IMG_1241.JPG

• Like 1

And the flip side is no you do not need a spoke torque wrench.  A spoke torque wrench is only going to be accurate on new spokes.  Once you have all the spokes "torqued" to some spec, it is then necessary to true the wheel by tightening and possibly loosening various spokes.  At this point your initial torque is pretty meaningless.  With just a little practice you will learn to feel what is right, and it is not very critical.  You easily know when a spoke is too loose. And you will start to round off the nipples if you are getting too tight

• Like 3

Still learning here folks... Will loose spokes really cause that much movement? I assume due to lack of tension on the rim?

yup have you ever rode a bicycle with lose spokes? Its real wobbly and needs to be trued

yup have you ever rode a bicycle with lose spokes? Its real wobbly and needs to be trued

Modern bicycle wheels tend to break spokes more often than become loose,  just 1 broken spoke here throws the wheel trueness significantly

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Modern bicycle wheels tend to break spokes more often than become loose, just 1 broken spoke here throws the wheel trueness significantly

oh yeah!

For the first time I have completely and utterly failed at a repair job and had to get bailed out by my local shop.  I tried tightening the loose spokes.  I read that I was supposed to tighten each spoke a quarter of a turn skipping every other spoke.  I did that ... completely FUBAR!  Wheel went way out of true to the point that it was unridable.  I ended up going to my local shop, he has a guy that does nothing but true and relace spoked wheels.  Bike should be ready in the morning.  However, he did discover that the swingarm bushing were completely perished and needed replacing as well.

In the vid , it doesn't look like the disc is moving at all, just the outer diameter of the wheel, which suggests spokes.

• Like 1

After dealing with my swing-arm issues last year I'd highly recommend diving into the swing-arm/pivot bearings while you are already apart. Letting those go too far makes for some really challenging replacement in the future. One of the pivot bolts notoriously corrode/freezes into it's shaft making it almost impossible to remove. Check out some posts on swing-arm service here for great advice & photos. Nice you got the free play/spoke issue solved  :applause:

Modern bicycle wheels tend to break spokes more often than become loose,  just 1 broken spoke here throws the wheel trueness significantly

Every bike/trike I've ever owned has had spokes loosen. (Have 4 bikes now) None has ever broken any.

Every new bike thread reminds the new owner to tighten the spokes that WILL loosen up within a few rides.

Not sure what you're talking about.

Every bike/trike I've ever owned has had spokes loosen. (Have 4 bikes now) None has ever broken any.

Every new bike thread reminds the new owner to tighten the spokes that WILL loosen up within a few rides.

Not sure what you're talking about.

I am talking about bicycles wheels.....