Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder head discoloration?

Ok so I have a 2002 drz400s and I know every body says that the drz's have a horribly cam/ valve sound but mine got worse after the cylinder head on the exhaust side changed to a golden color so I was just wondering if I may have screwed up the valves or what, but the bike had a high idle when this happened and that's why it was getting so hot but anyway any info would be helpful thanks.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399123259.063754.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399122943.754941.jpg

So you believe there was one event in time you say this changed colour and the valve train noise increased....? 

Ok.....was it after smoking a green substance sourced in Colorado..?

looks pretty much normal colour to me....but if your anxious about it,,,,

Do a valve clearance check for starters...

Is there any change in performance????

Edited by Craigo 485sm

My current cylinder head also has a golden tint, no problems with that

cylhead_zpsa6709788.jpg

• Like 1

F2 Dog .. Your's looks Sweet

Yepp, and it's gold all over, so I'll guess it's from the parts washer..

Yepp, and it's gold all over, so I'll guess it's from the parts washer..

No manual petcock, can't see a vacuum line,so you run it on prime.?

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Ok so I have a 2002 drz400s and I know every body says that the drz's have a horribly cam/ valve sound but mine got worse after the cylinder head on the exhaust side changed to a golden color so I was just wondering if I may have screwed up the valves or what, but the bike had a high idle when this happened and that's why it was getting so hot but anyway any info would be helpful thanks.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399123259.063754.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399122943.754941.jpg

That happens when they get hot..

The question your asking is... Did it get too hot and hurt it. That your not going to figure out by staring at pictures of the outside.

Would not be a bad idea to take a few min, remove the seat , tank and valve cover and have a look at the cams and head. I'd even take a few more min to remove the plug and check, spin to TdC remove CCT, and remove the cam caps.

No sign of damage and put together and ride

No manual petcock, can't see a vacuum line,so you run it on prime.?

If you look at the pic, you'll see the vacum line (black mesh) going to the lower hole in the intake.