Sign in to follow this  

Stuck swingarm bolt-how to remove?

Hello all, so ive been beating on this swingarm bolt for a few hours now. I cant drill into it to make a puller, I cant cut it, I cant beat it out with a 12 pound sledge either. Suggestions?

EDIT: I dont have an air hammer or air tools. I just loaded it up with WD40. Im trying my best here, but I have a deadline, and im getting very worried :( I have 13 days to finish this bike.

Edited by lethalweapon100

The bike seen beach sand?

I can't tell you how many times I get called to come remove swing arm bolts.

If you don't have a way to cut it, maybe try rigging up some kind of slide hammer. Lots of PB Blaster liquid wrench, some heat on the swing arm, doesn't take much.

I usually have to cut them out with a plasma cutter then they press the bearing out with the bolt still in there.

• Like 1

The bike seen beach sand?

I can't tell you how many times I get called to come remove swing arm bolts.

If you don't have a way to cut it, maybe try rigging up some kind of slide hammer. Lots of PB Blaster liquid wrench, some heat on the swing arm, doesn't take much.

I usually have to cut them out with a plasma cutter then they press the bearing out with the bolt still in there.

I dont have a slide hammer...maybe ill try heat later. I do not have a plasma cutter or access to one though. Not sure if the bike has ever seen beach sand.

Anybody else have suggestions to throw my way?

Hello all, so ive been beating on this swingarm bolt for a few hours now. I cant drill into it to make a puller, I cant cut it, I cant beat it out with a 12 pound sledge either. Suggestions?

EDIT: I dont have an air hammer or air tools. I just loaded it up with WD40. Im trying my best here, but I have a deadline, and im getting very worried :( I have 13 days to finish this bike.

Deadblow hammer and a brass drift works wonders.

What do you mean by you can't drill it out? Have you tried putting a socket the right diameter on the bolt and beating it with a sledge? It can't stand up to a full sledge swing... If you were anywhere near me, I have a hydraulic press that I could press it out for you.

Heat would help a lot if you have an aluminum swing arm. If you get a blow torch and heat the swing arm to roughly 250°, the aluminum will expand about .002" which would probably be enough got you to pound it out. Treat it like punching out a valve guide.

Deadblow hammer and a brass drift works wonders.

Ive been using a spare axle from my bike to contact the end of the swingarm bolt when im beating on it. I just used more WD40 and more hits. Not even budging.

What do you mean by you can't drill it out? Have you tried putting a socket the right diameter on the bolt and beating it with a sledge? It can't stand up to a full sledge swing... If you were anywhere near me, I have a hydraulic press that I could press it out for you.

Heat would help a lot if you have an aluminum swing arm. If you get a blow torch and heat the swing arm to roughly 250°, the aluminum will expand about .002" which would probably be enough got you to pound it out. Treat it like punching out a valve guide.

Ive seen people drill and tap the end of the bolt and put a smaller bolt in it, and tighten the bolt so it pulls it out of the frame basically. My drillbit is crap and the steel is too hard.

Ill try to get a blowtorch by the end of the day...maybe...mine is busted :(

Ive been using a spare axle from my bike to contact the end of the swingarm bolt when im beating on it. I just used more WD40 and more hits. Not even budging.

The deadblow hammer and a brass drift transmit the vibration differently than steel and a regular hammer. I had a yz that I owned a while ago that was exhibiting the same issues, tried everything. Three hits with a deadblow and drift was all it took.

The deadblow hammer and a brass drift transmit the vibration differently than steel and a regular hammer. I had a yz that I owned a while ago that was exhibiting the same issues, tried everything. Three hits with a deadblow and drift was all it took.

You dont say? Hm. Maybe ill swing by lowes today.

Dumb question, brass punch = brass drift, right?

With the amount of sledge hammering already done the bolt is now mushroomed and will most likely never be able to be driven or pressed out . The few that I have repaired i tapped and threaded then used all thread and a pipe to make a puller others I drilled out because they had already been hammed on . A good drill and and cobalt bits will cut through though it like butter untill its thin enough to just push out . Other methods I have seen are to cut the bolt in between the swing arm and engine and swing arm and frame . I didt do this because the damage caused but is was successful

It's it hollow? That the inside and put a bolt with a washer in it over a collar so when you tighten the bolt it pulls the bolt out?

Your best bet... Drill a hole into the bolt, use a large tap, put a large bolt in with red loctite. Let it sit for an hour, and you have most slightly got it done. That blow torch also will do wonders. Do that brass drift+ dead blow+torch=Success

Your best bet... Drill a hole into the bolt, use a large tap, put a large bolt in with red loctite. Let it sit for an hour, and you have most slightly got it done. That blow torch also will do wonders. Do that brass drift+ dead blow+torch=Success

I have to get my hands on all that first.