Sign in to follow this  

replaced front tire and now have slow leak

I replaced the front tire on my KDX200, and used a new heavy duty tube.

This is the first tire change I’ve ever done, and it was a real struggle for me. 

Anyway, I now have a slow leak (losing about 1.5lbs per day). 

Is this something I can just patch or do I have to replace the tube?

I just hate to buy another tube and risk pinching that one, too.

Also, any tube installation tips or tricks you guys have would be much appreciated.     

I replaced the front tire on my KDX200, and used a new heavy duty tube.

This is the first tire change I’ve ever done, and it was a real struggle for me.

Anyway, I now have a slow leak (losing about 1.5lbs per day).

Is this something I can just patch or do I have to replace the tube?

I just hate to buy another tube and risk pinching that one, too.

Also, any tube installation tips or tricks you guys have would be much appreciated.

I remember my first tire change. God, that sucked. I still hate em...anyway, you can try tube sealant, thats what I did once. Although the hole may be too big to seal.

Tried that too. Didnt work for me. I guess it depends how you do it.

it works for me most the time, if it works it works lol
  • Like 1

If it's only 1.5 lbs a day id run it till it got worse then take it to a dealer it's like 15 bucks for hem to change it

If you patch the tube be sure to put weight on the patch for a few hours. I found it helps a lot with getting really good holds.

My first tire change took me three days.... yup. three days. But I would just patch it. Are you using tire irons when putting the tire on? It's a great investment. 

My first tire change took me three days.... yup. three days. But I would just patch it. Are you using tire irons when putting the tire on? It's a great investment. 

Thanks RB and all the others who have responded. 

I spent about 4 hours on the front, but some of that time did included watching You Tube how-to-do videos.

I was using spoon style tire irons, but still had problems.

Once I get the front figured out, I still have the rear tire to change. 

This has been a real pain, but I do want to be able to do some of my own work.

You may have pinched the tube with an iron, but before jumping to conclussions, check the valve stem for a leak!

Just takes a little practice. Most common mistake I see is people not unseating the bead all the way around on both sides of tire before trying to pry the tire off! You probably just pinched the tube. With a leak that slow you could probably try slime but I would just patch it. Heavy duty bicycle patches work great! Dont know why some people think you need something extravagant. I have been using bicycle patches for years and have never had a problem with one holding.

• Like 1

Practice is everything with tire changes. The more you do, the better you get at them. Are you using lube when changing the tire? I find windex and baby powder work well.

I spent about 4 hours on the front

:jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:

wow that's a lot of time.

make sure you're keeping the bead down in the valley of the rim. it makes all the difference in how easy that last bit goes on.  also, throw your tire that is to go on in the cab of your truck for a few hours on a warm day. it's much more pliable when it's nice and warm.  after a dozen or so you'll have them down to about 15 minutes.

to answer your question about patching the old tube, i'd go with what an earlier poster said and wait until it's loosing a bit more than 2 lbs a day. then i'd patch it. i prefer bicycle patches as they're thinner with a better taper at the edge which is where they fail, the edge lifts and the air works its way out and the patch becomes wothless.  i only replace tubes when they get too thin or i pinch flat them otherwise they get a patch. i can usually get 4 ish tires out of one UHD tube.

best of luck.

check the valve stem for a leak!

Sort of exactly what I was gonna say.

1.  Make sure the valve core is tight.

2.  Did you use tire sealant like Quad Boss, Slime, etc?

I had a front flat, replaced the tube and installed QuadBoss...and the front leaked a bit - about 2 lbs every 7 days.

Went to air it up once and heard a bit of air escaping.  As it turns out Quad Boss had gummed up the valve core and it wouldn't close all the way.  Or the valve core may have been defective from the get go and QuadBoss was saving my azz - no way to tell.

Pulled out the leaking valve core and installed the core from the punctured tube.  Problem solved.

Good luck.

Edited by SpunBearing

Thanks RB and all the others who have responded. 

I spent about 4 hours on the front, but some of that time did included watching You Tube how-to-do videos.

I was using spoon style tire irons, but still had problems.

Once I get the front figured out, I still have the rear tire to change. 

This has been a real pain, but I do want to be able to do some of my own work.

Take your time and use too much cornstarch or baby powder inside the tire and cover the tube . It lets the tube move around a bit without letting it get hot while riding also. Use dish detergent and water mounting it works good and oils are just messy .