Sign in to follow this  

Metal flakes and pieces in my oil

Most of the time that's bad news. Are they magnetic? Small little aluminum flakes 1/32 inch will shed off the clutch basket or hub as normal wear. If they are magnetic and larger than that it could be a bearing going bad or gear shearing or numerous others.

Not recently rebuilt, I'll have to check and see if they are magnetic. I also have recently heard a light tapping/knocking sound. I'm assuming my crank bearings are on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone

Gold color is rod bearing or thrust washers not crank bearing and the clutch basket material is

Not in the engine oil it would be in the tranny side , maybe piston skirt if alluminum , but still it's giving you fair warning to fix it before it gets ugly!!!

• Like 1

Are you sure the particles are coming from the engine oil side? It's a bit odd to have particles in the engine oil but then to have absolutely no particles at all in the engine oil filter...

Edited by Eddie8v

99% it's just from the tranny side (clutch basket notching) if you don't have gold in your filter I wouldn't sweat it to much!

Edited by Whatwentwrong

I would agree with you but I'm still thinking something is wrong in the motor somewhere because of this knocking noise, is has started getting louder. From what Ive read around the net I'm thinking crank bearing are worn and its clanking around. Hopefully my cylinder isn't trashed.

So I tore the head and cylinder off, checked the crank which was perfect, and replaced the piston and rings. The valves weren't horrible, the right intake was the worst but still sealed well and wasn't bad enough to have to have the seats recut and all that. Got it all back together and it started right up but I have this knock that seems like what I've read to be the decompression lever, any ideas?

Could be decompressor ? Did you check the condition of cam chain tensioner and the chain whilst doing the top end ?