Sign in to follow this  

"XR650R Front Sprocket Mod"-Do Repeated Inspections!

...So i had the xr650r front sprocket checked out by the mechanic who did the original work. We were both not impressed! Not only were the front sprocket inner splines beat and the teeth worn, BUT there was increased wear on the shaft! Like i mentioned earlier he "went by the book" upon installation from the information on here. He is a competent mechanic, industrial mechanic and is a perfectonist. It was a Oem honda xr650r front sprocket from the dealer. New sprocket on the back and new chain.

...There was a lot of play in the sprocket on the shaft when you grabbed it with your hand. If you put the sprocket on the same way it would go on a xr650r(not reversed), it was fine. Of course this cannot be done because of clearence problems on the xr650l. The sprocket was only on there for about 6000km(4000 miles), and never worried about checking it before because from what i read from others who had checked it multiple times, everything was fine. So i didnt worry about it....That was MY mistake!

.....I dont know if its from excessive wear and tear on my part? Not to brag or to sound like an &%$#@!, i have said it before...i drive the pig Hard....Super hard! I flog the shit out of it every time i am off road. I push myself and probally the pig near its limit all the time. Now that its even lighter and handles better, stops quicker, this has only made the treatment on the old girl worse! Today was the first real chance to take it off road because of spring thaw. I drove about 60k(40 miles) on everything immaginable. Mud, brooks and lots of rocky terrain. The type of terrain where its safer to power your way over the rocks to gain stability. I actually drive like i am in my own super enduro. I average 600 miles on a rear ac10 which is a dot approved knobbie. The reason i am going into detail about my riding style is because this might be what wore out the sprocket and increased the wear on the shaft spline. I am not sure??

....So if anyone has done this mod and not checked it recently PLEASE CHECK your sprocket and shaft spline. If you are considering doing it, keep a close eye on things. A new stock xr600r front sprocket is on there now and although there was an increase in wear on the shaft, i should get another year or two of hard riding on the pig before thinking about a possible shaft exchange. It was caught before it became a real problem...thankfully. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Thumper3

Pictures.

I forgot to bring the sprocket home. I just sent him a text message. Most of the time i have read about doing the xr650r front sprocket mod it has been with using an aftermarket sprocket NOT the oem honda type. Maybe that was also the problem. Try to post a pic tomorrow.

A lot of guys, myself included apply Molly grease to the splines and inspect it often. I used a moose racing sprocket at 2000 miles and now with 4,000. My splines are still beautiful. The stock sprocket started to wear the splines but now they are nice and even and showing no signs of new wear. Is your chain too tight? That seems to cause major problems on the L. Hope you get it figured out. Splitting cases is no fun.

• Like 2

Im not a xrl guy so forgive me if im off base but did you have ANY wear on your cs shaft before the swap to the xrr sprocket? My understanding of the mod is that the xrr sprocket increases the contact surface area to the shaft thus distributing the load more evenly and reducing wear overall. So (like i said i dont own or work on an xrl) if you weardown a shaft a little with a stock xrl cs sprocket, then switch to a thicker xrr sprocket wouldnt all the load be transfered to the unworn portion of the shaft? It would seem that until this wear equalizes (worn area from stock sprocket matched by wear from new xrr sprocket) it would either wear just as fast if not faster than the stock sprocket setup did. I would think that once an even wear is established the xrr sprocket would perform as advertised.

• Like 1

Im not a xrl guy so forgive me if im off base but did you have ANY wear on your cs shaft before the swap to the xrr sprocket? My understanding of the mod is that the xrr sprocket increases the contact surface area to the shaft thus distributing the load more evenly and reducing wear overall. So (like i said i dont own or work on an xrl) if you weardown a shaft a little with a stock xrl cs sprocket, then switch to a thicker xrr sprocket wouldnt all the load be transfered to the unworn portion of the shaft? It would seem that until this wear equalizes (worn area from stock sprocket matched by wear from new xrr sprocket) it would either wear just as fast if not faster than the stock sprocket setup did. I would think that once an even wear is established the xrr sprocket would perform as advertised.

I was think the same

How much slack are you running in the chain ?

A lot of guys, myself included apply Molly grease to the splines and inspect it often. I used a moose racing sprocket at 2000 miles and now with 4,000. My splines are still beautiful. The stock sprocket started to wear the splines but now they are nice and even and showing no signs of new wear. Is your chain too tight? That seems to cause major problems on the L. Hope you get it figured out. Splitting cases is no fun.

Chain has enough slack. Not too tight. I always have it adjusted this way. Not too worried about the shaft. If anything, it gives me am excuse to get Brian to split the cases to do the 2nd-5th gear mod when the time comes to replace it (shaft). :thumbsup: 

The sad thing about it is i had this mod done to protect the splines. When i bought the bike it had 6000km (4000 miles on it). I bought it from an older guy so i am asuming it was the original 15t cs. When i had the xr650r front sprocket put on it had about 17,000 km(10,200 miles). The front 650l 15t sprocket was worn, but not in rough shape or anything. The sprocket splines were ok. The shaft splines  also in good shape. 6000km(4000 miles) later, the xr650r sprocket is beat, and there is increased wear on the shaft splines.

I was thinking to myself yesterday that if i ever wanted to sell the pig i would mention to  the potential buyer to keep an eye on the shaft. Some buyers might think its not too bad, while others might walk away. But then i came to the conclusion that i would never sell the pig anyways. I have had too much fun with it. Even if there was to be a ktm for me in the future, the pig will no doubt be parked beside it. If for anything...a back up ride. Its primarily used as a woods/extreme adventure bike. Yesterday, when i had it out in the woods for 60k(40miles), i was really trashing it hard. What came into my thoughts while this was taking place was that i don't think "Honda" engineers had this in mind for the xr650l model. :naughty:  :lol: The outside temperature was only about 60f and when i got home my back was soaked in sweat,  my body was aching before i even got off the bike.  On my "clutch" hand my fingers were hurting and my palm was numb. I checked the oil and put the pig away until the next outing. My last thought while taking the keys out of the ignition was it was one tough sob.

i think the sprocket im using is moose.seems its loosened up enough to be easier to remove and install but still very snug. i run enough chain slack that it lays on top the chain slider. id rather replace those than the shaft. im on the 3rd shaft now and put the 15t r sprocket on it during the last install.

Here is a few pics. Kind of hard to see the wear. Its there though.

2014-05-05 18.34.47.jpg

2014-05-05 18.31.55.jpg

I put a PBI 650R counter shaft sprocket on the "somewhat started to wear un-evenly" splines of the counter shaft on my XR 600R at the start of last season. 

Havent looked at it since. But I am due for new chain and sprockets asap as the rear started to skip when I was out on it this past Sat.

I will take a couple of pics an post 'em up when this happens.

But strangely enough, last night when I was out in the shop just messin around with little stuff, I grabbed a hold of the ccs, (with chain on and bike on the stand), just for a quick check to see if I could feel any play between the shaft and sprocket...... and there was none.Trying to wiggle the sprocket side to side and up and down, resulted in starting to turn the rear wheel. I realize this is not a reliable method of checking anything; but like I said, it was just a quick "feel" for reassurance in the back of my mind.

Thumper3, where are you? In Moncton?

Just wonderin, cuz if so, I'll pull my 13t sprocket before I go to town from Irishtown, and we can try it on yours to see if the difference is in the stock Honda XRR, or  PBI made products...

Here is a few pics. Kind of hard to see the wear. Its there though.

agreed  I can't make out the gear   but

i can see the ground perfectly 

since that's where the camera was focused LOL

I took about 20 pics and ended up going outside. These were the best I could get on my phone. On the sprocket splines there is un even wear and a few have chips missing on the outer edge.

Jaysons, I am actually 2 and a half hours or so from moncton.

agreed  I can't make out the gear   but

i can see the ground perfectly 

since that's where the camera was focused LOL

The pics on my phone are clearer than what is shown here. Although not super clear if you look closely on the pic of the sprocket inner spline directly above the clip bolt hole on the right you can see a piece of the spline missing on the edge.Go up a few more and another is worn down on the edge also. Some in the middle of the sprocket spline have un-even wear.

are u sure that's a Honda CS sprocket ? 

the holes don't look familiar??

I didn't go Honda because I don't think I could find a 14 or a 13