2012 KLX250s - power improvements worth the money?

I hear removing the airbox lid, adding a stage 2 dynojet kit and a FMF Q4 exhaust makes a solid 15% improvement in power... Which means I could go from 18hp to 21hp.

Can anyone verify the power increase with the combo of three mods?

I might spend the money but don't want to do it for only a nominal gain.

I don't know if it's a whole 3hp increase, but I have done those three mods and it's a much better bike now. Throttle response and overall pull has improved quite a bit. I think they are worth the money, especially if you can pick up an exhaust for cheap.

That is good to hear.

I ordered a front 13T sprocket for some additional low end performance and a new sprocket was only $13.

When you say cheap exhaust, how I do I find these unicorns? Amazon has a Two Brothers for $268, but I hear you have to buy the noise reduction tip for another $35 which brings the total price back to $300... And at that price eBay has the Q4 for $298.

Yea I have wanted to try a 13t sprocket, but I do most of my riding on the street and I'm not sure I want it geared down any more than it already is. Everyone seems to say that is one of the best mods you can make.

Edited by Pghxd9

I've done those exact mods to my bike. Definitely a noticeable power increase that makes it worth it. It is still a klx though so no matter what you do to it the thing will never ooze power. With a 14t sprocket I can wheelie in first if I pump the shocks a little. With a 13t I can almost pull the front up in second gear.

And another 60 to 80 for a jet kit. Honestly if you are going to keep the bike for a few seasons it is well worth it. I've got 12k on my klxs and put the pipe on at 3k. It's been more than worth it.

Does the quiet core insert work well on the DG? I live in the city and am slightly concerned with having a loud a$$ pipe since it could will draw a lot of attention to where I store my bike.

My gut says the FMF Q4 ($300) is the safest bet, but it's almost double the price of the DG ($159) slip on.

Man just do a little research of you're own. I guarantee you can find noise tests of both pipes. Q4 is still loud and ppl will notice. Not as loud as a harley but still throaty. Let's just say if the zombie apocalypse is coming I'm going to throw my old pipe back on.

Imo quite being a sissy about it and just buy a f*in pipe.

I hear removing the airbox lid, adding a stage 2 dynojet kit and a FMF Q4 exhaust makes a solid 15% improvement in power... Which means I could go from 18hp to 21hp.

Can anyone verify the power increase with the combo of three mods?

I might spend the money but don't want to do it for only a nominal gain.

Ive got an 07'. I have recently put a new MCCT on and an FMF powerbomb header. It definitely has more torque. I need a jet kit but i havnt found any. The MCCT was a good investment, as it got rid of a clack that was present from around 4k to 6k rpm. I recommend getting one when you hit 5k miles. 

Google it.  There is a download available.  State how to do it.  Also has a chart as each bike has a specific RPM to be tested it.  I can pretty much guarantee you that a FS ranger is not carrying this with him/her.  Run it.

Don't stop posting because of some crabby persons comments. When I got my klx in 06 it was the first bike I ever rode. I knew nothing so forums like this are important. Remember the adage "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers"