Sign in to follow this  

Help with year of bike?

I just bought this ktm 125 sx today and was wondering what year it is, the person I bought it of says at 07 but I'm not sure I think it may be 06? and why is my exhaust black when there usually chrome?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399145877.545188.jpg

You're right that it's a 2006. You can tell by the shape of the tank and the fact that it's orange, as well as the newer black pds shock, which first appeared on the 125sx in 2006. The 2007 in comparison has a differently shaped black tank, as well as a different swingarm and brake rotors. I can't say why the expansion chamber is black though, but it's probably just aftermarket.

Edited by Nick Merrell

You're right that it's a 2006. You can tell by the shape of the tank and the fact that it's orange, as well as the newer black pds shock, which first appeared on the 125sx in 2006. The 2007 in comparison has a differently shaped black tank, as well as a different swingarm and brake rotors. I can't say why the expansion chamber is black though, but it's probably just aftermarket.

Yeah but the exhaust has no brand on it so I'd like to find out what make it is

Yeah but the exhaust has no brand on it so I'd like to find out what make it is

Probably just a painted stock pipe. I see a lot of painted stock pipes on Craigslist near me.

Probably just a painted stock pipe. I see a lot of painted stock pipes on Craigslist near me.

What would be the best way to remove it apart from shot blasting don't want to pay to be done but I want to come out nice as I rather the chrome look

What would be the best way to remove it apart from shot blasting don't want to pay to be done but I want to come out nice as I rather the chrome look

Looks really good how it is now, but if it were spray paint gasoline takes spray paint off. Spray it on, let it sit a couple minutes, and blast a power washer at it. Repeat. It will bubble up. Of course this is all on it maybe being a painted stocker. Could be a no name aftermarket that's black.

Typically 10th digit in vin will tell you the year.

• Like 1

Aircraft paint stripper sold at most auto parts stores and in a spray can . just spray it on and it will peel off , wash it good and done. Wear gloves though 

Go to Home Depot and buy a quart of acetone and a bag of rags, the acetone will dissolve most paints.

Typically 10th digit in vin will tell you the year.

Tenth digit is the model year and for model years 01-09 it will be 1-9.

And I've found a lot of owners swap parts, or repaint, so livery isn't always accurate, so the VIN is the best authority. 

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1