Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 Feeling some play in the front end.

So I have been feeling some play (back and forth) in the front end while riding and I am looking to hopefully fix it.

Question is I don't know what I need to do to correct it? I am hoping I can just tighten the nut that holds the triple trees in the front frame neck? (I know I'm butchering what these are really called) Not sure how to go about it? It looks like I have to tear the whole front end apart but not really sure? Any advise or tips for me would be appreciated.

It could be a few things, check your wheel bearings first by holding the top of your tire and pulling and pushing side to side, then check the axle for wear/play then check the front suspension tubes, then check your fork legs like you are talking about, then check the steer tube by loosening the top clamp and tightening the headset, but check the headset bearings before you tighten the "head neck" down. And you should find what's wrong down the line

It could be a few things, check your wheel bearings first by holding the top of your tire and pulling and pushing side to side, then check the axle for wear/play then check the front suspension tubes, then check your fork legs like you are talking about, then check the steer tube by loosening the top clamp and tightening the headset, but check the headset bearings before you tighten the "head neck" down. And you should find what's wrong down the line

If it is the head nut, is it just a matter of tightening? or do I have to completely disassemble to get to the nut?

If it is the head nut, is it just a matter of tightening? or do I have to completely disassemble to get to the nut?

just the top crown/clamp.