Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400Sm starts but wont go into gear?

Hey guys,

I've been following the Thumpertalk forums for a while and made this account as i have come into a sort of dilemma. i just literally bought a DRZ400Sm today (03/05/14) that has 21,000 miles on the clock which is very clean however, we finally got it home and the bike starts and displays neutral light however, when we clutch in and shift down to get into 1st (neutral light disappears) and release the clutch, the bike is still able to freewheel forwards and backwards and will not move under throttle. I've tried searching around but cant seem to make sense of any posts. I am a very very basic bike user and have no idea about the techy stuff so was wondering if you could guide me in the direction of some sort of hopeful solution but making it as simple as possible for me to understand.

Thanks for reading and "attempting" to help me if you post :)

Assuming it has actually shifted into gear something is very wrong. Lets assume it did not actually go into gear as that is the simplest explanation. Motor off. No clutch, push down firmly on the shift lever holding pressure on it as you move the motorcycle forward or backward a foot or so. You should feel it drop into gear.   At this point you should not be able to push the motorcycle any more.  Pull in the clutch lever. Sidestand up.  Motor should start and you are able to ride the motorcycle.  If not, something is very wrong.  Ask for help from a knowledagble friend.  It may be something very simple like Is the drive chain installed?

By the way, in the US today is 05/03/14 (month /day/year)  Silly but that is how we do it.

Edited by Noble

For future reference, it is always wise to test ride the bike in question before you buy. Not just start it but physically ride it. Nobody likes getting left with other peoples junk. Shame how often people get stuck with a lemon and try and pass it off on the next sucker.

• Like 1

Looks like ive been stuck :( but fortunately i got it for a decent price, £1,950 very clean just this clutch issue and it was the only one close to me, all the others were over 8 hours drive from where i live in the UK. and as for the suggestion about getting a knowledgeable friend to take a look, my dads got his friend who races motocross coming over to have a quick look :)

Edited by mdavidg

A bit of fettering should have it spot on.

Did u inspect the clutch? My yz250f has the same problem and i looked at the friction plates and the were like glued together each friction material ripped in half thats how stuck it was. Your best bet is to look at that first.

• Like 1

It all depends on what deal was made.  We don't know enough to judge.

It all depends on what deal was made.  We don't know enough to judge.

Based on the info supplied thus far is what I base my judgment...... If the buyer was told that the bike was unrideable, fair enough.....

1. Does the bike have a chain?

2. Is the chain the right tension?

3. If you remove the little cover over the front end of the chain, what do you see?

4. Do BOTH sprockets have all their teeth?

5. If you start the engine and put it in gear, can you see the shaft in the middle of the front sprocket spinning?

Beyond that, you may be ion for lying the bike over on its side and having the clutch open; if you can post pictures of what you've got, the Brains Trust here (doens't include me!) might be better-placed to help.

Another thing to check on the shaft coming out of the engine that the shift lever is attached.  There is an e-clip on that shaft right where the shaft goes into the engine.  Make sure it is there. 

I had one that wouldn't shift and it turned out that E-clip was missing.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but the person we bought it off offered us a full refund as he had no idea this was to happen, and has since re posted it on ebay as "spare or repairs" which we are thankful for. so the hunt starts again for me >.> im thinking of getting an E or S and buying some warp9's for the cheaper insurance over here, what do you guys think?

P.S. 

The thing that was broken was the Gears? themselves?, dads friend took the cover off and found the gears to all be worn and well, "Pooped" as such >.> and also the Sprockets Bolt holding it on had sheared aswell. i have no idea for technical terms but should be a rough idea of what was wrong >.>

Edited by mdavidg
  • Like 1

Nope.  I'm still lost.  "Gears" are all internal.  No simple cover removal would reveal.  An educated guess might say gear problems.

Sprockets, yes they can be easily seen and are really a consumable item that needs periodic replacement.  Seller didn't know sounds hard to believe. Good luck on your hunt for another.  You need an experienced critical evaluation before purchase.

• Like 1