Kick starter Problem

The tang on the return spring broke off, and is now laying in the bottom of you motor. If you get wise, and bump start it, your gears could pick it up, and then real damage will begin. I had a customer with an xr 600 that this happened to, and he drove the bike to me to get fixed. I pulled his clutch side cover off, and found the broken tang right under his crankshaft. He got very lucky

• Like 1

OK thank you

Definitely don't ride it anymore, don't try to start it anymore.  Take the clutch cover off, take a picture and post it here so we can see and give you more help.  Your kick shaft assembly probably needs to be replaced or parts there off.  Depending on the actual part that broke, you're likely to find a better deal for a used complete shaft on eBay than buy the actual part from the dealer.  I bought a clapped out bike that had the stop broken off and had fallen on the gear drum and jammed the shift.  The idiot that owned it, instead of fixing it, ended up damaging the shifter drum, and stripping the shifter lever, so you can imagine how hard he rode it.  If I've learned anything in three decades is, if you have a problem, fix it right away, otherwise, you're looking at more problems down the road.  Good Luck! :devil: 

• Like 2

Thanks I'll put a picture on when I get it off.

Ok, cool, look forward to it.  I'll try to help you best I can as many here will too.  Pictures speak a thousand words, believe me.  You're problem may only cost you a few bucks, but better to dig into it now then later when it will cost you more. :devil:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...