Sign in to follow this  

KX250F kick starter serious issues

Hi guys I'm new to thumper talk.

So today I took my 09 KX250f for a ride and about 1 hour in I started noticing a terrible grinding sound. I looked down and noticed my kick starting was moving around like crazy. When I got home I started it up and the kick started stayed down making the same sound and moving violently. I'm not very knowledgable with engines and I don't have any idea what could be causing this.. Any help is appreciated. Is this an inexpensive fix or is it going to be a money pit?

imma  guess that your spring either jumped out of place or broke, either way i believe you will have to pull the side cover to access. easy job if you know what you are looking for as for price free on the low end to 150 maybe.. you might need a  new gasket when you pull the side cover off. 

Edited by ekulb14

No you won't be able to see it. I had kickstarter problems on my bike as well, though not like yours. You'll have to pull off the whole inner clutch cover to get to it (don't forget to remove the long oil filter cover bolt along). If you want to do more than just look at the kickstarter gear, you have to remove the clutch system as well, as the basket covers the gear. Definitely don't skimp out on new gaskets; they are good insurance for preventing oil and coolant leaks.

Edited by CincoBoy