Sign in to follow this  

XR400 new ignition system and no spark

This has me got me going nuts!

New coil 
New CDI

checked plug cap screwed into lead nice and tight
checked stator pick up installed correct and is ok (can only go in one way)
checked correct installation of stator and wire connections to stock harness as per direction 
checked coil ground 

looked at kill switch connection (s) 
No obvious chaffs on wire harness or bad connections. 

WTF!? NO SPARK

However that NEW 2014 DZ 400 S sure runs good - as I hit the e button to take it for a ride and mumbled to the XR, Fugger...

Get out your multi-meter.  Test the stator, then work your way forward from there.  Should take about 10 minutes to isolate the issue.

Have you taken the cap apart to check or replace the resistor with solid metal?

Yes

If you hold the plug in your hand, do you get a shock?  Different plug?

Have not tried the shock yourself method..LOL did that once a long time ago on an evinrude out board motor - whack! damn that hurt.  I have done some other online research and it seems the spark on these is weak anyway - odd .... some say to check in the dark.  I also installed (when oem stator was in) the oem coil and CDI and got intermittent spark. SO, being the lousy electrician that I am, I decided for utmost reliability I would change all - stator / coil / CDI.  Now I have done this before on my 1986 XL600R and had no problems. 

I do have the subframe off and tail light harness disconnected but my limited understanding in electrical tells me that should not make a difference. 

I did disconnect the kill switch too and tried it - nada. 

Seriously, get out your multi-meter and start testing the wiring.  If you don't have one, pick one up at harbor freight.  Once you start using one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

No, disconnecting the tail light harness won't affect anything.  Yes, you should test for spark in the dark.

• Like 1

Yes, weak spark, because it sparks at every TDC.  Check in dark.

When I touch potentially hot wires, I touch them with the top of my index finger.  If I get shocked, my finger naturally curls away instead of grabbing on.

You can check the lighting side of the stator under load with a light bulb.  I think it's eighty watts for a stock XR4 so a 75 watt bulb.   The ignition winding puts out much less.

Got spark - just had a feeling screwing the new plug boot onto the coil wire that it was not seated... dang things slide on so tight it is hard to rotate and fully engage the wire. So! i used a heat gun and warmed the boot to damn near untouchable hot - expanding the boot - and quickly screw it on. Spun it over by hand and 1-2 spark! ah -ha  I said I saw that! so lets hope she lights off, all back together and ready for a test start - stay tuned.