Riding in East Texas

I've rode at Gator Run ATV park which is southeast of Longview.  The cost is fairly reasonable at $20 for rider and bike and the area is large enough that you're not running into one another.  Expect pipelines, trails, some technical, as well as access roads with plenty of sand and some mud.       

What about Barnwell mountain rec area in Gilmer? Never been but would like to make a trip over and check it out

You should check this place out. Lots of fun! It has it all. Edited by cleaner1

Just rode at Sam Houston NF this past weekend. Camped out at Kelly's Pond, which is the trail head for some of the West Side Trails. Super loud night with about a billion frogs and a couple owls. Slept like a baby. Woke up and rode for a couple of hours. 

The trails were wet and muddy due to the recent rain. I heard it was a good thing though because it tampers a lot of the dust that gets kicked up on the trails. I'm a new rider so I found it challenging and somewhat technical. Terrain was all over the place from thick woods, open woods, sand, mud, fallen trees, moguls, grass, ruts, just a lot of fun. I found parts really frustrating and other parts really fun. I'll definitely be going back.

Best part - campground was free, $5 riding fee which is based on honor system, and 85 miles of trails to explore. 

Just rode at Sam Houston NF this past weekend. Camped out at Kelly's Pond, which is the trail head for some of the West Side Trails. Super loud night with about a billion frogs and a couple owls. Slept like a baby. Woke up and rode for a couple of hours. 

The trails were wet and muddy due to the recent rain. I heard it was a good thing though because it tampers a lot of the dust that gets kicked up on the trails. I'm a new rider so I found it challenging and somewhat technical. Terrain was all over the place from thick woods, open woods, sand, mud, fallen trees, moguls, grass, ruts, just a lot of fun. I found parts really frustrating and other parts really fun. I'll definitely be going back.

Best part - campground was free, $5 riding fee which is based on honor system, and 85 miles of trails to explore. 

? Be sure you have the sticker and a S/A.

This is fischbones brother in law. Thank you guys for all the great suggestions!! ?

Sam H was great! We will be going back for sure, I was surprised at the quality of trails there. The west side being dirtbike only really shines! 

FYI if you go...treat your cloths/gear with permethrin. The chiggers and ticks are out in full force. Other than that, it's a woods paradise.

We had planned on going to Barnwell M. in Gilmer this Saturday morning....but last night....after reminding Fisch 6... dozen...times... to not lose any of the needle pins from his suspension linkage bearings.....he lost one.  :doh:?  At lunch I am driving out to the bearing supply house to locate one, wish me luck!

Edited by slackinoff

One being gone is zero problem. Yes, I have experience with this. Just go ride.

Good! cause that is what we ended up doing.

Barnwell M. was tough on us. We got down some pretty rough trails by accident.... Steep climbs with little traction is TOUGH! especially when even the best lines are littered with large rocks. We cussed, we crashed, and we broke things.

That aside....Barnwell M has an extremely nice facility. The bathrooms are cleaner than my own house, and the faculty are very helpful and professional.

All in all, a good adventure.

Edited by slackinoff