Sign in to follow this  

bulb turn signal problems

I just bought some rear only aftermarket bulb type turn signals from ebay.  I installed them, and am having r=the same problem as the guys with LED turn signals.  The action says they are 10w bulbs.  So I guess its not anough current draw for the blinker relay to work correctly.  I dont know the wattage of stock turn signal bulbs.  I see on ebay there are resister kits, to pit in paralel to the LED,or in my case bulb. or these relays, I guess I need one for each side. Does that sound right.

Edited by lynnbg

Standard factory turn signal globes on the Australian models are 12Volt/21Watt.

I think you got your answer in the other thread.  The LED flasher or the resistor solution will work.  The flasher is easier though, and you can then swap in LED or incandescent bulbs or a combination.

Ok I went to Ebay to look at LED flasher relays,but there are two pin flasher relays, and three pin  flasher relays. which one do I need, do I need two of them? One for eah side?  Does any one have a scematic to show howto hook these up?

Just replace it with what you have?  That way it's a simple swap.

Should be 2-prong.  Could be 3, but the third isn't required unless you have indicators.  I had an old Baja Designs DS kit on my bike and it had a 3-prog, but one of them wasn't used.  I replaced with a 2-prong.

BD Schematic, note that your wiring may differ.

Just make sure it's rated for the watts you are putting through it.  Check your local auto parts store.  You just need a flasher that operates by time and not by heat load.

Or add turn signal indicator lights up by your bars. If you use a lower wattage incandescent bulb it will have the same affect as the resistor but also will keep you from looking like an idiot going town the road with a turn signal left on!

Ok I ordered the flasher relay from Ebay, took two weeks to come in, Put it on, and it did fix the problem.  They work now.  The only problem is that every time it blinks I have a beep,beep,beep,beep. Like a back up on a truck.  I guess its built into the relay.  So if you order one question the seller if it has a beep,beep built in if you dont want that.  I went back on the Ebay auction that I bought mine from, and it does not have anything about beeping,

Is the relay a sealed unit? If opening it up to disable the beep circuit wouldn't tear it up, you might consider that.

Or wrap it up in some pipe insulation to deaden the sound.

Edited by Trailryder42

I want the beep.  I didn't know they made those.  I'm always leaving my signal on in daylight.  Please provide a link.