Sign in to follow this  

BritishColumbia Lytton, Onion Lake, Monkey wrench are May Long weekend?

Hey

I am planning on a 2 night camping and riding trip to this area on the May long weekend. Having a tough time determining campsites in the area as none seem to be government run or even 'official' campsites.

Anyone with experience in this general area have some suggestions? My buddy and I will have a tent trailer equipped with the regular amenities but would like to have at least outhouses nearby and maybe even water.

Suggestions of good spots?

Thanks

Ian

And that's why I should use the preview post button....LOL

Tittle should read

Lytton, Onion Lake, Monkeywrench AREA on May long weekend?

For the May long best bet is spring camp at 4.5k up Lalluwisin FSR on the left. The riding from the camp is pretty much all upstream and there will be plenty of riding thats snow free. The main campsite at 14k will be clear of snow probably, but you will only be able to ride downstream of camp with less loops available because everything above will be snow covered still (probably, but it is a lower snow year....) It will also get quite cold at night at 14k, it's at 4500ft.

14k is the nicer camp site, but typically not the spot to camp until June. 

Thanks tribal. What sort of 'facilities' are at the spring camp? Water or washrooms?

Creek for water and I believe there is outhouses there. Pretty basic, bare bones. Nice flat camping sites with nicely spaced trees for shade.

There is also nice camping at Turnip lake, right fork at 9k then a couple k down the rode. But trails are a little limited from this zone these days as a bunch of trails were reclaimed as private property when the property around Onion lake changed hands.

For May long your better off camping somewhere else like duffy lake. Tried onion a couple years ago later then may long and it was cold, lots of blowdown on the trails, ice on the rock slabs,etc. now I start the camping season at Duffy.

Oinion Lake area was awesome this weekend. Camped at 4.5 km campground. Was empty except for two others who luckily had a spare clutch lever for my buddy. Thanks Ollie!

Lots of people (20 trailers and campers) at monkeywrench start campsite and another 20 or so at that Turnip Lake ( I guess that was it).

Lower trails pretty clear of snow/wind fall and 0 snow.

Uppers trails is great shape and mostly clear of trees also (only rode a few trails up there). Also 0 snow up there.

Great job trail crew!

Ok planning another trip to Onion Lake but this time October 3, 4 & 5. Anyone think it will be too cold or any snow by then?

Well its no longer May but it looks like 30C weather for this weekend.

My and a buddy will be there for our first time (and I'm friggin stoked) for at least Sat/Sun then possibly on to Duffy for Mon/Tues if we get bored.

We'll be in a red F150 with trailer if anyone from here is there and wants to ride or have a beer