Sign in to follow this  

Top End Rebuild Newbie and Lost

Hello,

Just purchased used 2000 KDX 220. Very well kept bike. I am excited and newbie.

I was reading on another forum that is very very important to perform a top end job on the bike as soon as I get it.

Is this true?

Thank you,

Hello,

Just purchased used 2000 KDX 220. Very well kept bike. I am excited and newbie.

I was reading on another forum that is very very important to perform a top end job on the bike as soon as I get it.

Is this true?

Thank you,

did the PO have any receipts saying its already been done? A guesstimate on how many hours since?

How does it run?

Get the bike warmed up and do a compression test on it (remove plug, put on compression test tool, open the throttle all the way, and kick it till ti doesn't go any higher). That's your compression reading.

Check the reeds, make sure they in good shape.

You might be able to pull the pipe off and take a gander up the exhaust hole and check things out a bit.  if it runs fine get some riding in on it, buuuuuut. just because it runs fine doesn't mean it doesn't need a rebuild.

Theres a few guys who know a lot more than me (hell most people haha).  I think the KDX (i could totally be wrong..) was famous for having cracked piston skirts...  There is a thread on the first page or two talking about walmart 2 stroke outboard mix... give that a read.

did the PO have any receipts saying its already been done? A guesstimate on how many hours since?

How does it run?

Get the bike warmed up and do a compression test on it (remove plug, put on compression test tool, open the throttle all the way, and kick it till ti doesn't go any higher). That's your compression reading.

Check the reeds, make sure they in good shape.

You might be able to pull the pipe off and take a gander up the exhaust hole and check things out a bit.  if it runs fine get some riding in on it, buuuuuut. just because it runs fine doesn't mean it doesn't need a rebuild.

Theres a few guys who know a lot more than me (hell most people haha).  I think the KDX (i could totally be wrong..) was famous for having cracked piston skirts...  There is a thread on the first page or two talking about walmart 2 stroke outboard mix... give that a read.

Hello and thanks,

The owner did not have receipt of last top end. He mentioned he has not rode much and so forth. 

I was thinking of bringing to local mechanic for top end work or just doing myself. But I am not mechanically inclined right now and need to gather tools for general maintenance. I do have the service manual for the bike.

Eventually, I want to perform my own maintenance and top/bottom end on the bike. Just need help on what tools to purchase.

How do I know what maintenance to perform on the bike?

I have a 1989 KDX and your 2000 has a redesigned KIPS system in which are less prone to stripping gear teeth. Never heard of anyone having problems with the 1995+ KIPS. I think there is a way to check them without taking anything off the bike..

The stock piston should be replaced on the 220 with a forged wiseco or other. They are known to shatter and possibly total engines

Hello there. 

If it was my bike and I as unsure I guess I would have two choices..........Run it and hope for the best or do a top end build. Me.........I would do a top and bottom end build or at least an inspection. A compression and leak test will tell you a bit but how can you be sure of hours? Hours are Hours. 

With my old 125, i bought it and it had a freakin TON of power. i don't remember if he told me it was rebuilt or not but my brother test drove it and it was great.. i'm not sure how kdx's are with top and bottom end power but i'd say just ride it a few times around the trails and then decide.

as far as rebuilds go, it's fairly simple. drain oil & radiator, remove carb, reeds and jug, replace the piston. you can find youtube vids to be more specific but that's pretty much all that was required for mine

Thanks all.

I talk to mechanic today and after I check his reference, I will let him perform the top end this time. This will let me ride and get tools and other gear ready for now. I will attempt top end myself the next time. 

• Like 1

Good deal.

Top ends really are easy. just be sure and get a decent torque wrench for torquing the nuts back down.  Don't just make them tight... Do them all per spec :)

I'd do a proper compression check and take a peek at the piston and cylinder wall. And see how the plug is. If your compression is good and plug looks good I'd run it