Sign in to follow this  

Got a CRF80 - No manual yet...

I just got a CRF80 for the kids and wife but didn't get a manual so I have few questions.  It's in great shape, one owner, all original but it sounds like the engine ticks more than I think it should.  Or maybe that's normal for this engine?  Oil looks good and clean. 

How do I check the valves?  How to adjust?

How much oil does it take at a change?  Is there an oil filter?

Anyone know where I could get a white rear fender?

Thanks!

Adjusting the valves involves taking off the seat and gas tank. Then take off the camshaft cover. Im pretty sure its just 2 10mm bolts that hold it on (thats what was on my xr100) take the cover off and then look inside the flywheel cover peephole if it has one and put the piston on TDC on the compression stroke. You should feel play in your valves. If you dont, your on the exhaust stroke. Then loosen the lock nut on the rocker arm. set them to .006mm with your feeler guage. Im pretty sure the valve clearence is .006 but im not 100% sure

Quick answer:   About a quart.  But there's a dip stick.  There is no filter, but it has a screen behind the clutch cover gasket. 

Quick answer:   About a quart.  But there's a dip stick.  There is no filter, but it has a screen behind the clutch cover gasket. 

:thinking: ............And the pick up screen isn't really a normal service item at oil change time like changing a oil filter is.   Usually it's cleaned when something comes apart contaminating the engine............which would likely require engine tear down. :thumbsup:

Old School Al