Sign in to follow this  

Got a used 2013 KX450F

Hey I'm a new rider I'm 23 180lbs 6 feet. I've bought a used 2013 KX450F for 6500. Its only ran for 3.9 hours on the hour meter and has a Yoshimuria (stainless steel/ Aluminum) slip on.

I'd like to get started on maintain this bike and improve handling and performance. So far I've only thought about trying out a 1mm longer linkage, a Rekluse clutch, chain guard and guide, better radiators to keep the engine cooler, a 270mm front disc possibly?

My questions are what can I do to make this a better bike in the short term and long term. What parts should I get now and save for later? What maintenance can I do for myself and must I do regularly in order to maintain it. 

Any advice or idea's would be very much appreciated.

2013-kawasaki-kx450f_1280x0w.jpg

Edited by ostrom91

Hey I'm a new rider I'm 23 180lbs 6 feet. I've bought a used 2013 KX450F for 6500. Its only ran for 3.9 hours on the hour meter and has a Yoshimuria (stainless steel/ Aluminum) slip on.

I'd like to get started on maintain this bike and improve handling and performance. So far I've only thought about trying out a 1mm longer linkage, a Rekluse clutch, chain guard and guide, better radiators to keep the engine cooler, a 270mm front disc possibly?

My questions are what can I do to make this a better bike in the short term and long term. What parts should I get now and save for later? What maintenance can I do for myself and must I do regularly in order to maintain it. 

Any advice or idea's would be very much appreciated.

First thing you should do is tear it down and grease your swing arm linkage, steering and wheel bearings (They do not put grease in them from the factory)... Change the oil every 5 hours, clean your scavenge screen ever 15-20 hours...

Clean Air filters are the most important maintenance item on a motocross bike.

Many new owners expect it to be like a car and change them once a year.

Doesn't work with a mx bike.

Things that really helped my turning we're the dr. D radiator lowering kit and raising the forks in the triple clamp. I have yet to get a longer linkage, but everyone says they make a big difference. Main thing, linkage or not, is set the sag.

A 270mm front brake is a MUST in my opinion. It makes such a huge difference, I don't know how I even rode with the stock front disc

I don't think better radiators are needed unless your riding very slow trails. I've never had a overheating issue

Lucky man! Ive been keeping my eyes on Craigslist in hopes ill come across a similar deal but they always end up sold within a week or two. I wont have the money available until next weekend and just my luck... all 13's and 14's on there are sold!

TM Designs chain guide kit for sure. Some extra air and oil filters. An extra rear tire, chain, and sprockets.

Pro-circuit backfire screen removal kit is worth its weight in gold to make sure nothing falls in airboot while changing filter. Twin airs are a little smaller than stock which gives more wiggle room. CGetting rid of the stock grips

I have the Tusk big rotor, silicone radiator hoses, race tech kit for front and rear suspension.  Other things I would recommend is a better rear sprocket and chain.  Other than that it's an awesome bike, I have never had a problem with in overheating and i've done starts practice at MTF with doing like 10 starts in a row.  Biggest thing is SUSPENSION don't waste your money on exhaust and stuff like that yet, it has tons of power.

Lucky man! Ive been keeping my eyes on Craigslist in hopes ill come across a similar deal but they always end up sold within a week or two. I wont have the money available until next weekend and just my luck... all 13's and 14's on there are sold!

TM Designs chain guide kit for sure. Some extra air and oil filters. An extra rear tire, chain, and sprockets.

For 500 bucks more you can buy a brand new 2014.... The dealer I bought mine from had like 25 450's on the floor... 6999 out the door!

For 500 bucks more you can buy a brand new 2014.... The dealer I bought mine from had like 25 450's on the floor... 6999 out the door!

Unfortunately, I live in California.

Unfortunately, I live in California.

hey preston,let me know when your ready for the 450..ill get you the best price in cali .....chris.

hey preston,let me know when your ready for the 450..ill get you the best price in cali .....chris.

Thanks, Walent! I should be ready by next Wednesday.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine just got a 13 with 7 hours on it for 4500 i couldnt believe it but i seen it with my own eyes

Just a few words about new guys and motorcycles. If your just getting into the business is say learning to ride is the most important, obviously maintaining the bike is super important but the most important things you can do for your bike as a new rider is oil changes and filter cleaning. If your not gonna be racing or riding the bike too hard you should be perfectly fine, spending money on all those other parts is probably not gonna be too good of use to you. I got into the business in December bought myself a used bike with about 200 hrs on it. It's been great ever since and all I've done is oil and filter and I'm having the time of my life with it...no upgrades no nothing. It's the rider that makes the difference more than all those add on parts you can put on it.

Adjust everything for your height. I think Gary Semics did a good right up on it. Suspension next it turns it into a whole new bike. Im new to the sport myself but I went ahead and bought several different back sprockets to try at different places, dropped the pegs to the lower position and slapped on a pair of renthal RC high bend bars on. After the revalve it rides great.