Bike shuts off when I downshift?

to much play in your cable? need new plates?

good question.. I wasn't sure what would cause it. I haven't checked anything. It's not a carb or motor problem is it? It seems like my clutch works great but my motor just sounds like it shuts off when I pull the clutch in.

good question.. I wasn't sure what would cause it. I haven't checked anything. It's not a carb or motor problem is it? It seems like my clutch works great but my motor just sounds like it shuts off when I pull the clutch in.

well how does it idle? does it run good through the gears up shifting?

i dont think idle would mean shit when you are moving.

so you go to downshift and it just dies?

when you pull your clutch in it dies or after you shift down?

does the rear tire stay locked up with your clutch in? will it start back up and idle or bump start?

when you pull your clutch in and just coast does it stay running?

well how does it idle? does it run good through the gears up shifting?

i dont think idle would mean shit when you are moving.

so you go to downshift and it just dies?

when you pull your clutch in it dies or after you shift down?

does the rear tire stay locked up with your clutch in? will it start back up and idle or bump start?

when you pull your clutch in and just coast does it stay running?

it won't set there and idle in neutral unless I give it a little throttle. I rebuilt the carb and i had some problems getting it right so I took it to a shop and the guy told me it's a little fat on the pilot jet (I put stock jets back in it). And it's a stock pipe on it as well nothing special. When I go to downshift from like 4th to 3rd it just sounds like I'm just coasting if I hold the clutch in like the bike isn't running but if I'm in first and I coast it will stay running as long as I keep on the throttle a tad. The rear tire never locks up on me though. It never actually dies because the bikes still moving but if I take too long to shift going slow then it would possibly die. I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal or not? Lol

I'm not sure it would stay running if I was in 3rd and just tried to coast because I think it dies when I'm in a higher gear and clutch it.

check your carb float?

i would go back through it again just to double check everything thats pretty cheap

also for shits and giggles turn your idle up. see if it idles then, turn it up to where it will idle and see how high you are.

if you are having to turn it way up then its most likely a carb issue.

jets fuel and air are the darndest things

• Like 5

check your carb float?

i would go back through it again just to double check everything thats pretty cheap

also for shits and giggles turn your idle up. see if it idles then, turn it up to where it will idle and see how high you are.

now that you mentioned the idle I'm gonna mess with it a bit. The mechanic said my fuel screw was way off which I knew because I took the carb off about 5 different times I just screwed it back on where it wouldn't fall out but I'll see if that may help things a bit.
  • Like 1

now that you mentioned the idle I'm gonna mess with it a bit. The mechanic said my fuel screw was way off which I knew because I took the carb off about 5 different times I just screwed it back on where it wouldn't fall out but I'll see if that may help things a bit.

well dont just turn it up to mend the issue, or else you are gonna just be patching a break. kinda like when i was racing today and i taped the broken finger/joint to finish.

carb is pretty simple, i would play with idle to figure that out, mess with your screw and that may be your issues, that would be the most probable since the shop worked on it and said it is the issue

• Like 1

It shuts off because it wont idle, you know it wont idle, wheres the question?

Is the pilot new? Install a new one. Set the fuel screw to 1.5 turns from all the way in. Make sure carb boots are completely sealed. And then turn the idle in until it idles.

• Like 2

check your carb float?

+1 

It shuts off because it wont idle, you know it wont idle, wheres the question?

Is the pilot new? Install a new one. Set the fuel screw to 1.5 turns from all the way in. Make sure carb boots are completely sealed. And then turn the idle in until it idles.

yeah all jets are new I may just put the old pilot back in and hope that solves my problems. But I don't see how a factory pilot jet would be too fat. It just doesn't make sense to me.

check your carb float?

There is a test for float level.

Turn the Petcock off and ride the bike.

If the problem goes away as the fuel level goes down, the float level is the problem.

I recently had this issue, did this test, and it proved out.

Dropped the float level, and that fixed it.

Good luck!