Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E fork spring rates?

Just purchased a used 2001 DRZ400E. I can say w/o even hitting the dirt the front end is under-sprung. Went to the Racetech calc. and for a 195lb. rider - Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.489 . Now that's for a dirt novice / beginner. If I change to a dirt novice, intermediate, c-class it lists : Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.502. Not sure how to categorize my ability? I rode 2 strokes as a teen for years and 25 years later want to play @ the local OHV parks. Anyways any input on the spring rate would be great. Thanks.

.48 with a Re valve

Set the rear Sag and see where you're at , best to set the rear up along with the forks anyway .

Thanks. I'd rather get some seat time before i re-valve so @ least I'd have a suspension baseline. Would .50 be too stiff? I have only replaced front springs on a couple bikes and wasn't quite satisfied w/ the stiffness of the rates. What would running too stiff cause? Thanks.

Too stiff means a harsh action , the wheel won't stay planted . You need the forks to be compliant , that's why I recommend a Re Valve .

You just do the springs and think its great , then after the Re Valve you wonder why you didn't do it sooner .

• Like 1