Sign in to follow this  

'87 XT250 project

I've had bikes for years and a month or so ago, in a slightly inebriated state, my wife said she wanted to get her bike licence.  Not being one to miss an oppertunity I was out looking for a cheap project the very next day and a few weeks later picked up this '87 XT250.  It's pretty much exactly the same as the 81-83 XT that the rest of the world got, which suited me just fine as I prefer the vintage look of the older models.

Anyway, it looked very rough, and the price reflected that, but my wife knew it wouldn't stay that way as none of my projects ever do.

Here it is next to me CX500 Cafe racer, also built up from a cheap runner.  Ignore the chrome rear guard, was just seeing how it might look but I don't like it.

20140322_133454_zpshen6gzw5.jpg

Next I jumped on the internet and started ordering parts, 12v conversion kit, tyres, replacement tank, headlight (12V H4), Trailtech Vapor, 12v battery and numerous small bits nad pieces.

The first job was to get rid of the stock carb, it leaked like a sieve and since this bike is going to be 99% road I wanted to go a pod filter and try and squeeze a little more oomph out of the engine.  I had a spare VM34 so bolted it up and ordered a rubber joiner and 45 degree piece of stainless tube to mount the pod filter to it.

The carb bolted straight up but will need some changes as it is jetted for my CX at the moment, which runs two VM34's on it.

20140426_130648_zps06b3c91f.jpg

I then stripped off most of the bits I wouldn't need and as parts turned up mocked up bits of it.  Here it is as it stands now with the homemade front fender attached to a spare stock CX500 fork brace (my CX has had a front end swap so I have lots of spare CX bits)

My wife trying it out for size and giving me some ideas on how it might look.  Next I'll make a dash for the gauge so I can drop it down in front of the ignition switch.  Then the front can come apart to freshen up the forks and bearings etc and piant an polish.  The back end is going to get a tracker look, at least that's the plan at the moment.

20140504_110258_zps0pe9fmx6.jpg

20140504_110050_zps67dmigb8.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve F

Carb conversion sorted, just need to rejet once I can ride, also got my tyres and painted the spare rear wheel.  Slowly getting to the point where I can pull it down and build it up properly.

20140513_124257_zps731035c0.jpg

20140512_205324_zps7cbe2dc8.jpg

20140511_161503_zpsb50fe3d7.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Dont know if there is any interesting in this sort of thing here but one last update, this is where the bike is going :) Tyres are propped up against the wheels and exhaust has been chopped, rattles and bangs have now gone :)

20140524_145448_zps5xuphb07.jpg

The seat has since been cut down to lower the bike a little for my wife.

20140528_110250_zpseeluil7o.jpg

Now to pull it down, tidy it all up and paint, and put it back together.

Cheers

Steve