Sign in to follow this  

93 pump gas vs 87 ethanol free

I'm sure there's lots of differing opinions on this topic but here goes...

In my area I have convenient 87 ethanol free access or of course 93 pump gas with ethanol at most stations. What's the opinions out there of lower grade ethanol free vs high test with ethanol?

It may be ethanol free, but it doesn't have an acceptable knock rating for a dirt bike.

I have 88 where I live that it ethanol free and I m

ix it with a little 100ll or race fuel... thats what you would have to do...

Edited by wwillf01

What bike are we talking about and what kind of riding are you doing. Personally, I'd choose the ethanol free fuel, if you find the octane isn't high enough you could always add some octane booster.

If your just playing around and NEVER ride it hard then 87 would work, otherwise pump 93 will still be your best choice. 

I run ethanol gas in everything I own, never had a single problem with ethanol. I run 91 with ethanol in my weed eater blower dirt bikes jet ski chainsaws. I am not sure why so many complain about ethanol it is a renewable resource that is good for the American farmer and I have never had a problem out of it.

Modern fuel is great

But ethanol is Hygroscopic and in humid environments it's gonna do what it's gonna do

Then you have gumming issues

I run ethanol gas in everything I own, never had a single problem with ethanol. I run 91 with ethanol in my weed eater blower dirt bikes jet ski chainsaws. I am not sure why so many complain about ethanol it is a renewable resource that is good for the American farmer and I have never had a problem out of it.

Then you are the luckiest person I know... if I am not 100 percent anal about taking care of ethanal fuel I have issues...

everyone does remember gas used to go bad even before the use of ethanol right? Ethanol is alcohol which is used in racing fuel and a lot of times in fuel system cleaner. Alcohol also mixes with water helping burn any moisture in your fuel. basically what "Heat" is. Im just not seeing the negatives, what is happening to your bikes that makes you think ethanol is the problem? just curious

From what I have found and heard it attracts water and is much more difficult to stabilize. The ethanol is harder on the 2 strokes long term. My main concern is fuel stabilization. . For instance the fuel in my toy haulers generator would never keep through the winter even if it was stabilized and I eoulf have all tyoes of issues with gumming. .. if I stick to non ethanol stabilized for last 3 years I have not had one issue..

Edited by wwillf01

Try the 87. Sounds like you may live or ride at altitude. Lower octane can and is used at altitude. If you experience knocking or pinging constantly then you'll need a higher octane. All octane does is slow the burn rate.

I always run 93, I am surprised that you even have ethanol free. From what I have read, every gas station will have Ethanol, less than 10%, if the station say "contains up to 10%" they actually have 10% or more.

Yes we are lucky. . We have one gas station that still carries 88 ethanol free... it is as much as premium though. .. I know all the rental ohv and snowmobile companies pays for the Ethanol free...

I always run 93, I am surprised that you even have ethanol free. From what I have read, every gas station will have Ethanol, less than 10%, if the station say "contains up to 10%" they actually have 10% or more.

I bet you're state has it too. You may not have it at some gas stations like we do but your marinas will have ethanol free gas. Usually in 90ish octane. It's sometimes referred to as recreational gas. Michigan has a decent amount of gas stations that carry 90 or 91 octane ethanol free.

Personally though...I'd still run pump 93 if the best rec gas I could get was only 87 octane. I'd be worried about detonation running that.

Edited by kan3

I bet you're state has it too. You may not have it at some gas stations like we do but your marinas will have ethanol free gas. Usually in 90ish octane. It's sometimes referred to as recreational gas. Michigan has a decent amount of gas stations that carry 90 or 91 octane ethanol free.

Personally though...I'd still run pump 93 if the best rec gas I could get was only 87 octane. I'd be worried about detonation running that.

"Warning: Gas pump labeling when ethanol is added is NOT required in the following states" Indiana is in that list. There is a list of "Pure Gas stations" and only one in that list is close to me, and it doesn't even say the name of the station. I would never run 87 in my bike. only thing you are loosing with ethanol, is mileage, if it's jetted correct, you will still have same power.

"Warning: Gas pump labeling when ethanol is added is NOT required in the following states" Indiana is in that list. There is a list of "Pure Gas stations" and only one in that list is close to me, and it doesn't even say the name of the station. I would never run 87 in my bike. only thing you are loosing with ethanol, is mileage, if it's jetted correct, you will still have same power.

I agree run the right octane for your altitude.

How would you have same power if ethanol by volume produces less energy than gasoline? 

I ran 87 pure gas in my Husky for a while and did have some light detonation. I figured since motor had low compression ratio it would be ok. No issues caused just light detonation. Another method I tried was 3 gallons of 100 LL AVGAS mixed with 2 gallons 87 pure gas. That worked good but was expensive. Then added octane booster just to 87 pure gas - still had light detonation. Recently found new pump with 92 pure gas. Happy!

www.pure-gas.org

Put 50:1 87 pure gas (dirt bike fuel) in my mower last summer (Sept). Sat until 15April. Started first pull. No stabilizers. Would have had varnish all over carb if used E10 fuel. 

How would you have same power if ethanol by volume produces less energy than gasoline? 

I ran 87 pure gas in my Husky for a while and did have some light detonation. I figured since motor had low compression ratio it would be ok. No issues caused just light detonation. Another method I tried was 3 gallons of 100 LL AVGAS mixed with 2 gallons 87 pure gas. That worked good but was expensive. Then added octane booster just to 87 pure gas - still had light detonation. Recently found new pump with 92 pure gas. Happy!

www.pure-gas.org

Put 50:1 87 pure gas (dirt bike fuel) in my mower last summer (Sept). Sat until 15April. Started first pull. No stabilizers. Would have had varnish all over carb if used E10 fuel. 

Well, I am not sure, and never tested, but with a low compression ratio, it probably won't create as much power..what I was getting at, you will have to Jet richer to compensate the 10% to be able to create equal amount of power. I would still never run pure 87 in any thing that has a performance motor on it, not having ethanol isn't going to reduce the chances of detonation. Whenever I get gas, with a pump that only has one nozzle, I always put at least 1/2 to a gallon in my car/truck before putting it in a can, to make sure that any left over 87 is out of the way.

Taken from "Pure gas.org" 

Why does pure gas give me better mileage?

Pure gas gives better mileage than E10, and much better than E85, simply because gasoline has higher free energy than ethanol. The free energy of gasoline is 34.2 MJ per liter. The free energy of ethanol is 24.0 MJ per liter. That means E10 (10% ethanol) has a free energy of 33.2 MJ per liter, and E85 (85% ethanol) has a free energy of 25.6 MJ per liter. As a result, your mileage is reduced by 3% with E10 over pure gas, and 25% with E85 over pure gas, all else being equal. Mileage will be reduced even more if your engine doesn't run as well on E10, which is often the case with older vehicles.
Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff