Sign in to follow this  

How can I take off smooth

Hi I am new to riding and im having a problem just taking off. When I go I usually stall it or end up popping a wheelie. I dont know how my friends take off so quick and make it look so easy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I am new to riding and im having a problem just taking off. When I go I usually stall it or end up popping a wheelie. I dont know how my friends take off so quick and make it look so easy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

What bike you ride?

What does starting in second do for you?

Edited by con01313

There is the right ratio between turning the throttle and releasing the clutch. You need to work that out. It changes depending on hills or mud too.

I've never found it a problem, but I've been riding since I was 6. I would suggest finding an open field and practice for a hour or so until you work it out. Lean right forward so the front wheel stays down better and just play with taking off. Yeah, it's boring, but like any other skill, it can be worked out. You can't be Villopoto on your first day.

• Like 2

Thanks guys I mainly had this problem when on the road going to the trails or in the driveway after refueling up or taking a break.

Thanks guys I mainly had this problem when on the road going to the trails or in the driveway after refueling up or taking a break.

Just takes practice.

yeh learn to do it right, first grear rev up a nit and slip the clutch till you start rolling forward. There is no jerking or violence unless you are dropping the clutch and trying to compenstate by wacking the throttle to avoid a stall.

Edited by ekulb14
  • Like 1

Maybe your clutch basket is worn. That can make it difficult to start smoothly

Heres how i teach people.

Everything is gentle and smooth,

Give it a tiny bit of throttle hold it steady, now let the clutch out super smooth and slow. From the time you start releasing it to fully released count 1,2,3. Thats how long it should take you to fully release it smoothly, and be smooth and controlled from the first quarter inch to the last. So many people are slow the first half then drop the clutch and nearly kill themselves. Its really not tough but it takes practice.

Heres how i teach people.

Everything is gentle and smooth,

Give it a tiny bit of throttle hold it steady, now let the clutch out super smooth and slow. From the time you start releasing it to fully released count 1,2,3. Thats how long it should take you to fully release it smoothly, and be smooth and controlled from the first quarter inch to the last. So many people are slow the first half then drop the clutch and nearly kill themselves. Its really not tough but it takes practice.

Lol thats just what I was doing thanks these tips helped.

Most people try and let the clutch out show then it starts to get grabby and c the lever wants to shoot forward, this is where i see people Mess up. Try and not let the never go that fast, even though it wants to

It takes practice...sometimes it helps to push off as you are putting the bike in motion. It helps prevent the bike from stalling.