Sign in to follow this  

Oil loss!

Hello, any help or advice would be appreciated. I've recently had a new piston and rings installed, and since then I have been losing oil out of the breather tube. I normally change my oil after 2-3 rides putting in 1.3Litres. Whilst changing the oil today only 500ml. Drained out. I've also noticed when I put the full amount of fresh oil in its a bit milky on the sight glass, this quickly disappears when running the bike. The new piston has approx 10 hrs on it. Have I got cause for concern? Thanks guys.

These bikes tend to spew oil out of the breather if they are left to idle while on the triangle because most of the oil is leaning to the left side of the case, and the moving parts tend to spew out oil out of the tube. And the illness is normal as when the bike cools, a little bit of moisture condenses in the engine. Thats a normal issue, it always happens to me.

Not sure what model yours is but my 2012 only takes about 800ml when doing a oil change so 1.3 will be way too much.

Did you actually measure what came out when you say 500ml  ? 

If you did measure then something is wrong as it wont use that much oil .

Thanks for the replies. Sorry forgot to mention its a 2008 model, and 1.3L is the stated oil amount. When I drain the oil I use the main bolt only and not the smaller drain bolt. After two 3hr rides only 500ml came out whilst draining. The bike didn't lose oil before the new piston and rings were installed so I'm confused as to why it's losing oil now.

Also check the scavenge screen is not blocked (under the flywheel) may cause oil to be lost out overflow if blocked

I am having the same problem with an 2011 kx250f. My opinion it is blow by from the piston rings causing the vent tube to belch out oil. If not that then the oil control ring may be damaged and need replacement.

Al

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at some older posts and maybe these symptoms could point towards my water pump not being up to scratch I.e seals worn. Would this cause blowby? Also would my engine survive with just 600 ml of oil in the case?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry forgot to mention its a 2008 model, and 1.3L is the stated oil amount. When I drain the oil I use the main bolt only and not the smaller drain bolt. After two 3hr rides only 500ml came out whilst draining. The bike didn't lose oil before the new piston and rings were installed so I'm confused as to why it's losing oil now.

i always drained my oil with the small bolt out. You would be surprised how much oil is in there. Also tip it side to side. Then hold the kill switch and crank the kick starter by hand about 6-8 times. That get quit a bit more oil out too. I dont think you have much to worry about but drain again following that procedure and see how much you get

• Like 1

The water pump wouldn't cause blowby, the coolant would mix with the oil and the oil would be milky white. Try removing the smaller oil bolt, as previously mentioned because there can be a lot of oil in there

I dont believe this is possible due to the hole between the water pump seals. If oil or water leak by from with seal, you should see it come out of the hole just in front of the water pump.

Oh and my 06 has been losing some oil out of the breather for years, not sure why, but never resulted in too low of a level.