Sign in to follow this  

Does anybody like their stock suspension?

I have a DR350S with a tiring suspension and a less than overflowing wallet sooo I think get a shock off a newer better bike that is about in the same cc or weight ball park. In particular I would like to see if a Honda CRF450 or Kawasaki KLX450R or KTM 450 XC-W or Yamaha WR450F. Get the feeling I have homed in on 45 bikes?

I see used CRF450S shocks on ebay reasonably priced. 

I have a DR350S with a tiring suspension and a less than overflowing wallet sooo I think get a shock off a newer better bike that is about in the same cc or weight ball park. In particular I would like to see if a Honda CRF450 or Kawasaki KLX450R or KTM 450 XC-W or Yamaha WR450F. Get the feeling I have homed in on 45 bikes?

I see used CRF450S shocks on ebay reasonably priced. 

Hi geaux,

I'm guessing you have ridden the bike with the same shock for a couple / few years.  If that's the case, you simply need to have the shock rebuilt. 

On the flip side, if you buy a shock off eBay, it will be used and worn out.  So it will need to be rebuilt anyway.  And, it won't be designed for your bike anyway, so you are opening the proverbial 'can of worms.

kevin

• Like 1

You are correct on anything I buy used I would still want to go through the expense of rebuilding. If I can buy something different used that is of better quality then I still end up with a better component than I have. Plus if the replacement part is from something more modern or popular the rebuild parts might be cheaper. Plan on replacing all bearings and seals while I am at it too. 

Open a can of worms? I think I started a worm farm last night on ebay. 

Bought 98 honda xr400r forks. They are nice Showa cartridge forks. They are 43mm and will fit in my stock triple tree. The axle end is 17mm, my axle is 15mm. I bought a 15 ID 17 OD sleeve to take care of that. Hoping since it is for a similar weight bike replacing the oil and seals will make me good to go. Just leaves the brake for fun, right?

Bought 93 rm250 swingarm with the shock linkage and shock. One of the big complaints is the stock swing arm is too flexy and heavy. The rm arm is more rigid and lighter. It will fit at the body pivot with adding a narrow washer. Folks that have done this swap say they get a noticeable difference and are happy. Others (that didn't do the swap) say it messes up the geometry of the suspension big time. I'll find out. But I will have two shocks and two springs to play with if I want to tinker more.