Sign in to follow this  

1978 dt 250 rear brake switch

just had a look at the rear brake on my dt250 , after digging the bike out from where its been gathering dust for several years,

the pull spring was hooked through the eye of the split pin that holds the pedal on, number 15 in this pic

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt250e-1978_model8653/partslist/F-02.html#results

not sure if that's where its supposed to be hooked and don't think it would give much pull when the brake is applied,

but mine used to work ok , unlike most other things on that bike which is how it ended up buried at the back of the garage

I took all the lights of mine in 1984, then left it in the Philippines 4 years later, so this is going back a ways... IIRC it's like most bikes of the day, and there should be a spring going from it to a small hole in the pedal/lever. Usually, there are only coiled in the middle of the spring for about an inch, then the rest is straight with fish hook shaped ends. If you go to the parts store on this sight, go to oem, pick out your bike if it's still listed, there should be an exploded view. I'd go to each drawing for it and click full view and print them out. If it's not listed, let me know and I'll dig around and see what I have.

Ha, never mind... PitB types faster :D

Looks like the spring is still in the parts system, so you can order from any dealer.

Edited by knudsen