Sign in to follow this  

xr650r year to year differences

my neighbor has 2 bikes, different years. one bike has the spark plug hole centered left to right in the head that he complains about having to do a lot of dissassembly to get at it but the other bike is another year and the plug hole is at an angle to the right side and he can get it with a socket, u-joint, and extension without removing anything. different heads? also he doesnt have any kind of book on either bike so i told him about the frame tube screen. he pulled one out and it had a screen, the other bike didnt and from the looks of it there had been no screen removed. im not sure why but explained the importance of having a screen there to protect the oil pump intake. 

i dont have the r but read about them here and thought the head difference odd.

does anyone have some knowledge i can pass on to this guy?

Errrr.....

Ok, so you are talking about TWO different bikes. Like they are not the same model. The XR650R were the same for all model years, the only changes were some internal engine things (clutch bushing etc).

So you can tell your friend he is an idiot!.... (bugger, did I just say that?....)

I suspect he has one XR650R and one XL650 - very different....

ill get more info from him next weekend as he works nites. ill get the years and hopefully some pictures too. the other difference i saw was the rear rims were different sizes, but i guess someone could have changed that.

Errrr.....

Ok, so you are talking about TWO different bikes. Like they are not the same model. The XR650R were the same for all model years, the only changes were some internal engine things (clutch bushing etc).

So you can tell your friend he is an idiot!.... (bugger, did I just say that?....)

I suspect he has one XR650R and one XL650 - very different....