Sign in to follow this  

Dirt inside engine

Recently I was tearing down my bike to do a leak-down test.  I looked through the exhause port and I could see tiny scratches so I reached in to see if I could feel them and accidentaly wiped some dirt on the piston.  I got a really clean rag and wiped off the dirt I could see but there is still a tiny bit in there.  Is it okay to run the engine?  Or should I take the top end off or flush the engine out or something?  Barely any dirt got inside the engine I just don't want to ruin the new top end I just put in.

P.S. Both right and left crank seals are bad and the engine won't hold any pressure, could this be the reason why there are scratches on the piston?  The piston has only been run for about 3 hrs.

Well you have sort of have answred your question really...........Never mind the dirt now. Bad seals can add to the scoring of the cylinder but it all depends on how bad they are as to how lean it is running. You will need to replace the seals and I am picking you may have to split the cases to do this but it depends on the bike make and model. You may be able to replace the seals from the outside with out splitting the case. If you can then the small amout of dusty dirt may not matter but I can't be sure as I can't see the amount. This dirt may get into your main bearings and effect them. You have choices.........Try replacing the seals from the outside and running the engine or tear it down and do a bottom end check and rebuild. You should also check your cylinder and check piston to cylinder clearances.  

Like GEOF said. We don't know exactly how much dirt you got in there, so it's ultimately up to you to decide. But if it was mine, I'd probably clean it, and I know I'd replace the seals, as they are not helping that piston any with them leaking and causing a lean condition.