Sign in to follow this  

Good it bad buy?

I am thinking about buying a 91 honda trx 250x for 450$. It comes with an extra set of rear tires, an extra seat, and extra handlebars. He said the only thing that's wrong is the bottom end needs rebuilt, needs a new coil and the case is cracked. Would this be a good bike to be a project bike to put little money into to get it running? I want it to just go trail riding and to turn it into a project bike. Please help!

I would offer him maybe $150.

Cracked cases mean either they are getting welded, or if the crack affects or port or other passage or extrusion that requires it being spec'd (IE port, bearing housing, etc.) you need no cases. 

Saying the bottom end needs a rebuild is too vague to come to a conclusion on anything. Did the transmission grenade? Clutch go? It could be the difference between a new clutch basket and a new transmission.

I offered him 200 and he said that it was a low ball. I don't know about the clutch or transmission.

I'd pass if you can't get $200. It's a 91 250x, not much value even in average condition, and from your description is less than average.

The one up side is that 300ex are basically that same and parts are interchangeable. The one your looking at could cost a lot of time and money to get back up and running.

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200