Sign in to follow this  

bike/potential carburettor problems....still!

hey guys. wondering if i can get some help here on where to start looking 1st.

im still having issues with the dirt bike, potentially carby related. still won't start...and when it does it just dies pretty quickly.

i had the carby cleaned twice, cleaned all the jets, put a full tank of fuel in the bike and still having problems.

when i use the electric starter, as the bike is starting, there is a slight hissing/whistling sound coming from the airbox/intake every now and then, mainly while the choke is on...wondering what would that be caused by?

the bikes had a full rebuild done. timing is spot on. new spark plug, checked for spark - all is fine and still has strong spark, checked all my electrical connections, air filter is clean and has brand new stater motor and stator in it.

not sure what else i can possibly check or what would be causing the hissing/whistling sound?

bike is a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model

Edited by pdee4t
  • Like 1

hey guys. wondering if i can get some help here on where to start looking 1st.

im still having issues with the dirt bike, potentially carby related. still won't start...and when it does it just dies pretty quickly.

i had the carby cleaned twice, cleaned all the jets, put a full tank of fuel in the bike and still having problems.

when i use the electric starter, as the bike is starting, there is a slight hissing/whistling sound coming from the airbox/intake every now and then, mainly while the choke is on...wondering what would that be caused by?

the bikes had a full rebuild done. timing is spot on. new spark plug, checked for spark - all is fine and still has strong spark, checked all my electrical connections, air filter is clean and has brand new stater motor and stator in it.

not sure what else i can possibly check or what would be causing the hissing/whistling sound?

bike is a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model

The dealer I bought my 04 from, told me most starting issues are carb on these.

make sure you keep a clean filter on the bike. Recheck valve adjustment. May have a valve not closing all the way. Slide stuck?

The dealer I bought my 04 from, told me most starting issues are carb on these.

make sure you keep a clean filter on the bike. Recheck valve adjustment. May have a valve not closing all the way. Slide stuck?

nah slide is fine. slide is completely closed. i did a leak down test and opened the throttle then i had air leaks coming from there, but with the throttle closed there was no air leak. it got 7% leakage just passed the rings on a cold engine.

so ive checked for air leaks. checked the rubber boots, all is fine.

what would be causing the hissing noise? i know my valves are a little looser, could it be not much air/fuel getting in as a result of them being looser?

I noticed before that with the valve covers off and turning the flywheel my intake valve springs were very squeaky...that good or bad? as soon as they compress you could hear them squeak. I fixed it up by pouring a bit of oil on them. no more squeak now.

It was only the intake side

Edited by pdee4t
  • Like 1