Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota YZ250 trade suspension? MN...

Weird proposition I know haha. Long story short, I bought an 01 YZ250 that has 200lb racetechs in the forks and on the shock. I weigh 165 with gear and it's a bit stiff. Riding Wednesday with hopes of trying to get this thing to plant a bit better. RS is at 4" and static is about 1.75".

Wondering/hoping if there is anyone out there with a YZ250 who's wanting heavier springs who would be interested in just trading everything. Literally swapping forks and shock to minimize downtime being as riding season is kicking off. PO of the bike works at a suspension tuner in WI and said everything had been serviced before he put it away for winter. Valving is stock. Nothing wrong with them and rides just fine, just need to take a breather with spending money for a bit haha. Thanks!

That should be a good deal for someone out there.  I know putting stiffer springs in my bike for my weight, surprisingly made the ride much smoother.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not looking to make anything, I just don't want to spend more on springs plus a revalve hopefully later this summer. If not I'll just keep em for down the road. My metabolism is starting to slow down haha.

When I bought springs I just bought used ones on ebay and then sold used ones on ebay.

You're saying "200 lb. racetechs" front and rear.  Are you saying they are matched for a 200 lb rider & installed by the PO?   My shock is an untouched '01 but the forks have been re-shimmed.  I COULD be interested but you know my problem.  If I remember correctly, the fork springs are not that hard to pull out.  I've never worked on this type of shock.  Did you just want to trade shocks or just the shock spring?

Yep. I haven't run the part number on the spring but the PO said they were 200lbers, forks and shock. I can't personally verify the springs in the forks but I honestly have no reason to not believe the PO. I think for the time being I'd just rather straight swap everything. Unbolt the suspension and bolt on new stuff. Eventually I want to get another set of suspension to play with but just getting back into riding, seat time is more valuable. I def remember what you've got going on and am not really in a hurry. If anything, this stiff suspension is teaching me to ride a little faster lol.

If you're not in a hurry, I think we can work something out.  I'd rather just do springs though but if both bikes are in the same garage some day, the swap will be pretty easy.  I've been thinking about springs.  I DO weigh a pound or 2 above the stock spring range and I know I can't get sag in the ballpark of where it should be.

That's exactly where I'm at. Sags all buggered up and the suspension only wants to work when run hard otherwise it's a 2x4 haha. For the most part I may be cool with just swapping springs. I do have a slight hesitation though when it comes to the forks. Nothing I can't figure out but I've never had them apart before and I honestly don't have a ton of time to spare to have the bike down if I run into something unforeseen.

The other thing is my buddy is now on the search for a YZ. He was shopping and after riding both of mine I think he's pretty well deadset on a Zinger. Being as he's about 205lbs, if he gets one that's compatible I'll swap with him.

OK, Whatever happens first.  I'd like to keep my forks because of new seals, fresh oil and a re-shim scheme.  Keep in touch though and we'll see what happens.  I'll be up to my neck in real estate monkey business for about another 3 weeks.  

Go to Racetechs site to determine the recommended springs then shop ebay and bike sites for the used ones.  If you know what your looking for, you should be able to pick up used $50 each end. The shock springs are easy to swap out.  Not sure what type forks the 01 yz's have, but if they are open chamber then they are pretty easy to swap out.  Watch some videos on youtube.  The twin chambers are a little more involved, but not all that bad either.

As others have said, just having the right spring rates makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

Pm sent motoxvet....

I ended up picking up both a set of forks and a shock, along with a loose set of stock springs here locally. They were worked on by ProAction and are sprung at 145lbs. Waiting to hear back from them to see if they were valved/shimmed too or just sprung. I did finally get a chance yesterday to play around with settings and got the bike to finally settle down and not be such a cranky pain to ride. Only problem is I've got the compression on the shock darn near cranked all the way soft. Like 2 from all the way out. The bike feels better but from reading, that's no good........ Maybe I should ask this over in the suspension forum as well, but what are the major problems with running a softer spring in the back and stiffer springs up front? Obviously for the time being until motoxvet and I can connect or I get some time to swap out the fork springs....

Pm sent motoxvet....

I ended up picking up both a set of forks and a shock, along with a loose set of stock springs here locally. They were worked on by ProAction and are sprung at 145lbs. Waiting to hear back from them to see if they were valved/shimmed too or just sprung. I did finally get a chance yesterday to play around with settings and got the bike to finally settle down and not be such a cranky pain to ride. Only problem is I've got the compression on the shock darn near cranked all the way soft. Like 2 from all the way out. The bike feels better but from reading, that's no good........ Maybe I should ask this over in the suspension forum as well, but what are the major problems with running a softer spring in the back and stiffer springs up front? Obviously for the time being until motoxvet and I can connect or I get some time to swap out the fork springs....

Funny - that's where my compression clickers on the forks ended up too, even with the re-valving.  I DID improve them because there WERE harsh as hell when I got it.  It still needs some tweaking.  As delivered from Yamaha, those were probably incredible forks....for 50 foot high jumps in an SX.

• Like 1

I guess the suspension forum would be the right place to ask, but if your not on an MX track, I'd expect the compression and rebound would be all the way out.  Be patient and give them some time.  Maybe ask someone with more experience to take it for a spin if you think something is really wrong with the shock or linkage.  My rear suspension was really stiff on my new to me Gas Gas, but then I found the linkage and swing arm bearings all rusted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Put some miles on it yesterday in huntersville. I actually really like how it is right now. I backed the rebound out a couple clicks after a last minute "whoop section" ride by my house the night before we left. Seems to ride the slower stuff nicely while being able to pound the whooped out straights really nice. There was a whooped out ditch by the west parking lot that I was able to run wide open in fifth and it felt really good considering it handled single track pretty well. Then again I haven't ever ridden an "off road bike" or suspension valved for it haha. I just always figured it's never good to run a shock at either end of the stroke. For now though, I really like how it is. :)

Can't wait to throw my bar risers on this week. Of course they were sitting on my step when I got home AFTER riding haha.