Sign in to follow this  

Best compact trail tool kit (folding) ?

Hi All-

Looking for some names/models of good, lightweight folding tool kits. My riding buddy had a mechanical issue with his bike on the trail yesterday and I quickly realized I need to be carrying something at all times. I like to pack light so it would have to be something small, light and preferably folding that I can put into my pocket.

Any ideas?

I carry the tool kit that came with my KTM it's pretty good and pretty compact I carry it in a rear fender bag supplemented with a few odds and ends

I carry a Moose fanny pack that has the KTM tool kit and quite a few additions to it. I've never really found a pre-made kit that actually has what you need in it. It is something you have to put together yourself. Just do an inventory from home and think "what if?" What if this broke, came loose, or otherwise failed. Do I have a tool to fit it? I also carry fuses, bolts, zip ties, some wire and other odds and ends. My fanny pack weighs maybe 5lbs if not less and once I'm riding I don't even notice it. I could nearly pull the bike down to the frame with what I have in my pack!

I can understand you want to travel light but honestly I'd rather have a couple pounds of additional weight on me and be able to fix an issue rather than push a bike out.

Very good point hezzdown. A little extra weight is well worth not getting stuck somewhere. I have a Spot Connect too. Every rider should have access to one of these. It's peace of mind for your wife too.