Sign in to follow this  

neighbor crashed my new bike.....

So i buy a new drz400s  300 miles ago and my neighbor and land lord says nice bike man, ive been riding for years mind if i take it for a spin some time....  That day was yesterday, roll up and he says good time for a spin? i say sure go for it. I had mentioned  to him that it was kinda top heavy and tall as he is about same height as me, and i have dumped it multiple times going slow with just a scratch or two on plastics. He said ive been riding for years bro, np. Off he goes, being a new bike i was nervous but was practicing trust, figured nothing would occur. He comes back 10 minutes later and i noticed dirt dusting on the left mirror, wasnt worried at first, like i said ive dropped it in trails going slow, no biggie. Get to right side of the bike to find the plastic peeled off of the radiator and the radiator bent back with brackets screwed and a leaking radiator hose  :facepalm:  I said you took a shi^^#$ eh? he said no man was a short ride... I said well the radiator didnt break itself... as he is trying to wrench on it and fix it. Radiator fluid leaking everywhere, i could cry.  :cry:  He denied ever crashing it but says he will pay for the damage... So monday im going to bring it to a dealer and have the damage quoted, anyone know what that stock radiator runs? right side? Also is there anything else i should check? must of been a hard wipe to bend that that bad... Just want my bike the way it was before that knuckle head borrowed it.

Dont let other people ride your bike, it very rarely gets returned in the same condition. Not being an &%$#@! just a lesson ive learnt aswell. Hope he mans up and pays for the damages man

• Like 3

Dont let other people ride your bike, it very rarely gets returned in the same condition. Not being an &%$#@! just a lesson ive learnt aswell. Hope he mans up and pays for the damages man

I am not a big fan of "trading bikes" with buddies. But I do have a few who I would absolutely trust to put it back to how it was if they go down. They wouldnt lie and say they didnt fall when its obvious they did, lol. But, far as just letting my neighbor ride it, who I have NEVER seen actually ride...no way, haha.

• Like 3

Expensive lesson learned. People who didn't damage something don't offer to pay

• Like 1

Took me a long time to learn that NOBODY rides my bike. NOBODY, EVER, NEVER. PERIOD.

• Like 1

George209. Your neighbor is a piece of $#!t for lying, but also for asking to ride it. That's just downright disrespectful and rude. Not to make you feel worse, but part of the blame is on you. Never let someone you don't know and trust well, ride your expensive toys. NEVER!!

Go get a quote from a dealer. Give the quote to the dip$#!T neighbor, hope that he pays it, fix the bike yourself and pocket the rest of the cash. You can fix the damage yourself for a fraction of the cost. Have the radiator repaired instead of buying new and save even more. Good luck. Post some pics of the damages if you can.

• Like 1

So i buy a new drz400s  300 miles ago and my neighbor and land lord says nice bike man, ive been riding for years mind if i take it for a spin some time....  That day was yesterday, roll up and he says good time for a spin? i say sure go for it. I had mentioned  to him that it was kinda top heavy and tall as he is about same height as me, and i have dumped it multiple times going slow with just a scratch or two on plastics. He said ive been riding for years bro, np. Off he goes, being a new bike i was nervous but was practicing trust, figured nothing would occur. He comes back 10 minutes later and i noticed dirt dusting on the left mirror, wasnt worried at first, like i said ive dropped it in trails going slow, no biggie. Get to right side of the bike to find the plastic peeled off of the radiator and the radiator bent back with brackets screwed and a leaking radiator hose  :facepalm:  I said you took a shi^^#$ eh? he said no man was a short ride... I said well the radiator didnt break itself... as he is trying to wrench on it and fix it. Radiator fluid leaking everywhere, i could cry.  :cry:  He denied ever crashing it but says he will pay for the damage... So monday im going to bring it to a dealer and have the damage quoted, anyone know what that stock radiator runs? right side? Also is there anything else i should check? must of been a hard wipe to bend that that bad... Just want my bike the way it was before that knuckle head borrowed it.

In his defense, radiators can bend very easy in the right fall, it doesn't take much.

That doesn't excuse him being a prick for denying that he caused the damage when you both know he did.

Learn from this, no one that you are unsure of or don't know like family rides your bike. The only person that has ever thrown a leg over my KX250 is my ex-brother-in-law. We were riding buddies, and he's every bit as good a rider as I am. And I know he would fix anything he broke, just as I would do if I rode his bike.

• Like 5

Your not In as bad shape as you might think. You have the upper hand! Get the bike fixed back to pre ride condition take it off the rent and send the balance of the rent with a copy of the invoice for repairs! Done no hard feelings! As far as lending anything I have two rules 1 the borrowed item is always my responsibility especially while it's out of my care custody and control! 2. I only lend shit to people that are gainfully employed with means to fix any damage! Aka close friends with a job!

• Like 5

There's only a few select friends I've ever let ride my bikes, and those were only friends I 100% trusted and knew how skilled they were.  Even then, there's been issues.  One managed to pop a tire on a quick 5 minute ride, the other had a valve drop on him on my XR250 when he wanted to try a hill climb on it.  Neither was really their fault, but they both felt bad about it.

This is a lesson learned.  The other lesson comes when you sell bikes...NEVER let anyone ride the bike unless you have the full amount of cash in your hand.  I don't even let people sit on sport bikes until I have money.  I always tell them they can have their money back if they don't like it, but its insurance in case it's dropped or wrecked.

• Like 1

How is he saying he didn't crash it but he will pay for the damage?

He should man up, tell you what happened, and pay for it.

Quick story, buddy borrowed a guy's new raptor (who he really didn't know all that well).  Hit a jump going way too fast, lost control and rolled that sucker.  Literally almost totaled the bike (not to mentioned he almost totaled himself as well).  Ended up costing him over $2,000 to fix everything.  He owned up to it and paid every single penny of the bill. 

That is how you man up.  You make a mistake you own up to it and do your best to clean up the mess.

• Like 3

he paid all $720.00 to replace oem parts, went with aftermarket radiator and bought the radiator guards in red!~ should have bike back today!

Did be at least admit to crashing it?!?

he paid all $720.00 to replace oem parts, went with aftermarket radiator and bought the radiator guards in red!~ should have bike back today!

nice to see he was a man about it an paid for his damages.

• Like 2