@#$% Razors!

Some friends and I went to a local riding area here in So Cal called Pinnacles. Have enjoyed the single track riding for years. Over the last few years some of the trail have been getting widened by quads but most of them were just access trails from on spot to another. Then came the Rhinos. Had some close calls on four foot wide trails but stil stayed cool because it was mostly access trails. Now we have these powerful Razors and they are getting out of control. We were very disappointed to find the two wheel only mountainside trails around Pinnacles blown out and in some places modified by shovel work. Very dissapointed and would hate to turn a corner to find the trail blocked by a Razor with a 50 degree slope to my right and a 50 foot drop to my left. Any comments?

Two of the areas I ride in the NE were invaded by quads when there are signs posted everywhere. I missed a quad coming head on by about two inches. My boot hit his fender as he flew by. They don't seem to care and whenever I'm there and see them the EP officers are no where to be found. The same day I almost got hit at another area he was too busy kicking bikers out because they weren't registered and they were doing no harm. I understand the laws of registration but to kick them out and let unregistered quads roam freely is BS. He didn't want to do anything about it when they were only a football field away. He just sat in his truck..

• Like 4

Side by sides are fun as hell to drive and they just keep getting better and better. That said, I agree with the OP. They need to stick to the desert, the dunes or jeep trails. If they keep tearing up and widening single track, these riding areas are gonna get shut down.

• Like 6

As a little karmic payback I once saw a guy walking on a trail that goes to a place called Devils Hole that is so narrow (about 12 inches with a 60 degree drop of about 100' into Deep Creek) that BLM installed bollards to keep quads out for safety reasons. Signs are clearly posted for 2 wheels only. I stopped to inform this person to be careful hiking here because of dirt bikers and he informed me that his quad was at the bottom of Deep Creek with a bent axle and a broken tie rod and did Iknow how he could get it out? I just shook my head and asked how he got it past the safety ballards. He lifted it over. So, he busted his ass to get his quad onto a trail that was clearly posted no quades and then got his just rewards by busting his ass and his quad and unless he took it apart and hiked it out peice by piece it is probably still down there.

• Like 11

Last summer me and a friend where out riding we have to take some gravel roads to get to the single track trails. At the parking lot there is a rental company that rents these damn things out to idiots that have never drove them before then try to add some excitement to it. by having a scavenger hunt dumb asses .so now it it a race between two razors on blind corners and gravel wash board roads .let's just say I missed them by about six inches .I was ahead of my friend .then they took the next turn where my buddy was coming around had the damn thing sideways at about 50mph and missed him by centimeters he actually laid his bike over just avoid them. We cut our ride short and went and yelled at the rental company. All they had to say is we tell them to obey the speed limit.

Side by sides are fun as hell to drive and they just keep getting better and better. That said, I agree with the OP. They need to stick to the desert, the dunes or jeep trails. If they keep tearing up and widening single track, these riding areas are gonna get shut down.

They need to stay the hell out of the dunes also. Every time I see one of those things I try to get the hell away, but due to their small penis size and large pocket books they like to get really close to me on my bike so they can show off. I wonder how they are going to like a 500 hp  cj-5 up their ass. Because when I get my baby running again that is exactly what I plan on doing.

• Like 1

They're even dangerous in the desert, on perfectly flat, extremely wide dirt roads! I was almost taken out by one of these things. I was going down Rands Mojave road near California City, Anyone that's ridden this dirt road knows how wide it is. My friend and I were cruising back to camp, about 50-60 mph when we come up on a RzR going the same direction. As we get behind him, he pulls all the way to the left of the road which indicated he was going to let us pass. WRONG! As soon as I start to pass and gave him the "thank you" wave, he veers back to my direction instantly, like he jerked the wheel, and from what my friend, who was 50 ft behind me said, the RzR was so close, he thought the front tire of the RzR made contact with my rear tire and took me out, cause all he could see was a cloud of dust. He said It absolutely scared the shit out of him!

I rode for about a half mile trying to wrap my head around what just happened, and decide to pull over and wait for this guy. At this point, I'm a little heated. He pulls up to us, had his wife as passenger, I say WTF man, you almost f-ing killed me!! He said he wasn't fully paying attention, blah blah blah. I chewed his ass out basically saying if you drive one of those, you had better be paying extra attention, dirtbikers are much more vulnerable to injury, and those things kill dirtbikers, and what just happened here, is the exact reason motorcyclists do not want these things driving around among them, also, too many f-ing people with zero off road experience, or etiquitte are buying these things and injuring motocyclists. He apologized and agreed and that was that although I was a little shaken up for a bit afterward. 

• Like 4

My friends brother was critically injured when he got hit head on buy a razor he actually died on the way to the hospital they had to revive him twice on flight for life. And to top it off the guy was drunk. Nothing against side by sides they are a blast to drive and i would love to own one but they're just to big for the trails. Plus I run into far more people drinking and driving side by sides then anyone else I mean they come with a beet cooler now.

• Like 4

These are fun to drive, but a terrible idea, we get all the fat rich "honey-booboo" type hillbilly idiots that think it's the coolest thing to come rip up the first as much as they can. They have no trail etiquette and total disregard for most everything. They're wise than quad couches, because these have all car luxuries and jam then into a dumb 2 person off road vehicle that requires awareness

Last summer me and a friend where out riding we have to take some gravel roads to get to the single track trails. At the parking lot there is a rental company that rents these damn things out to idiots that have never drove them before then try to add some excitement to it. by having a scavenger hunt dumb asses .so now it it a race between two razors on blind corners and gravel wash board roads .let's just say I missed them by about six inches .I was ahead of my friend .then they took the next turn where my buddy was coming around had the damn thing sideways at about 50mph and missed him by centimeters he actually laid his bike over just avoid them. We cut our ride short and went and yelled at the rental company. All they had to say is we tell them to obey the speed limit.

What a &%$#@!ing joke I suggest finding another riding spot. I garaunte someone is going to get hurt get out of there and find a spot you can ride in peace.

Unfortunately, side by sides are spawning a whole new breed of idiots. Possibly worse than quadtards. Time will tell.

I'm a motorcyclist through and through. There's no other vehicle I'd rather be operating. I agree with the above statements about the dangers in the desert and dunes. Between quads, side by sides, 800hp buggies, trophy trucks, golf carts with 1000cc engines stuffed into them, jeeps, and heck, even 1/5 scale RC cars, we as motorcyclists face more dangers than any of the others. And the funny thing is, for the most part, we are the most skilled operators of our machinery on any given weekend. It's them not paying attention or simply not having the experience or skill.

Single track is our last true sanctuary. Where we can explore without worry of the various 4 wheeled heroes. If these dicks keep finding and widening our favorite single track spots, we're gonna lose them. Not sure what we can do about it. One thing I can think of is, don't ever tell ATV, side x side or jeep guys about single track riding areas.

Edited by MasterT2000
  • Like 4

Four wheel recreation is synonymous with disrespect. The quad/razor/lifted-toyota crowd is getting out of hand these days. One of the county roads (dirt) in our area turns into our driveway which eventually dead ends at our land. The driveway is several miles long and we have signs posted everywhere and you can clearly see our cabin, pump-house and horse pen for the driveway. But still every few weeks random people come blasting up the hill and tearing up our pastor. We've seen guys blow through barbed wire fences, get stuck in our pond, scare our horses and even poach on the land. What use to look like a nice CRP field now has a bunch of DEEP tracks cut through it.  

just gotta go where they can't

As I mentioned in my origional post they are shoveling and widening out some here-to-fore single-track that used to be 2-wheel only. There is not really any way to stop them.

As I mentioned in my origional post they are shoveling and widening out some here-to-fore single-track that used to be 2-wheel only. There is not really any way to stop them.

agreed, they are getting worse and worse, but there is a lotta space out there, and I just look at it as reason to build new. Be smart about where ya ride, but even in CA there is still lots of places to ride.  Turn off trail sometimes and go overland...explore a bit, ya only live once  ?

• Like 1

Four wheel recreation is synonymous with disrespect. The quad/razor/lifted-toyota crowd is getting out of hand these days. One of the county roads (dirt) in our area turns into our driveway which eventually dead ends at our land. The driveway is several miles long and we have signs posted everywhere and you can clearly see our cabin, pump-house and horse pen for the driveway. But still every few weeks random people come blasting up the hill and tearing up our pastor. We've seen guys blow through barbed wire fences, get stuck in our pond, scare our horses and even poach on the land. What use to look like a nice CRP field now has a bunch of DEEP tracks cut through it.

Ass holes I live on 3 acres with nothing but hundred of acres of protected farm land and woods. I have permission for me and only me I show the farmer my bikes so he knows it's me. But every once in a while an ass on a quad tears right through his crops it makes me look bad when I see them I through off the helmet and gloves and bug out on them. Quadtards that's a perfect name.

They're stupid as can be, I carried a girl off the side of the mountain last time I went riding, they where tandem riding a quad with no helmets, rolled and broke her leg. I happened to watch it all happen, they wanted her to just get up, I ran over and pushed those retards away. My dad was an emt in his 20's went through the whole routine, made sure her neck stayed stable, and carried her up to the fire road. Their old man was more worried about the quad too...