Sign in to follow this  

99 suburban, 7.4 engine

I saw this g.m.c this a.m. I need something to tow my toy hauler. I currently use my daughter's 98 g.m.c 1500. It does o.k but it's pretty well maxed out. I get about 10 m.p.g with the 1500. Would the suburban be any worse.

The 'Burb has 137k miles on it, new tires,4or 6" pro-comp lift(I could do w/o that) tbe interior is pretty nice.dude wants 5500.00

This won't be a daily driver by no means.

20140504_113823.jpg

It seems high to me for a 15 year old Burb that need tires. 454's of that vintage were actually kinda gutless but you will get the 3/4 ton frame with increased towing capability. See if there were any trans problems and what kind it is. I don't know when they went to the 4l60E trans vs. the 700R4 but I know early 700R4's couldn't take much load. I had an older 4wd Burb and I do miss it from time to time.

It seems high to me for a 15 year old Burb that need tires. 454's of that vintage were actually kinda gutless but you will get the 3/4 ton frame with increased towing capability. See if there were any trans problems and what kind it is. I don't know when they went to the 4l60E trans vs. the 700R4 but I know early 700R4's couldn't take much load. I had an older 4wd Burb and I do miss it from time to time.

I don't think that this burn is going to have the 4L60E trans, generally those are going to be in the 1/2 ton trucks. This would probably be a 4L80E if I'm correct.

The 454 of that era were a bit "gutless" but were good towers with more torque then you'd ever notice. A 4L80E is a beefy transmission but a 700R4 is quite weak. Still, it should have the 4L80E almost for sure. I'd try to talk him down some to cover the price of tires and if everything adds up, I'd bring it home.

It'll make a great tow vehicle with lots of room for your family or whoever wants to come along. Vortec 454's are quite decent motors, you should see about 8-10mpg but it'll be easy to fix if anything ever goes wrong and they're very tough. I'd jump on it. 

• Like 1

have a 94 G model, G in vin is 1 ton rated GMC  marked 2500, 4:10 gears , 480 E trans, 4800 RPM red line,  big torque for the day, one ton axles, rear end, brakes, huge cooling, tranny ,engine oil, 208 K miles excellent , no major problems. it gets 8MPG towing ,not towing, uphill, down hill , 40mph , 70 mph ,   not fast but strong!   94 is throotle body injection. I like mine a lot. Think 98 is vortex engine.  Uses 1 QT oil in 4000/5000 miles. Rides like a xitch till you load it!

have a 94 G model, G in vin is 1 ton rated GMC marked 2500, 4:10 gears , 480 E trans, 4800 RPM red line, big torque for the day, one ton axles, rear end, brakes, huge cooling, tranny ,engine oil, 208 K miles excellent , no major problems. it gets 8MPG towing ,not towing, uphill, down hill , 40mph , 70 mph , not fast but strong! 94 is throotle body injection. I like mine a lot. Think 98 is vortex engine. Uses 1 QT oil in 4000/5000 miles. Rides like a xitch till you load it!

Great info. Thank you. I showed the 'burb to the wife yesterday and she started in on me about getting her a new vehicle. We've been talking about trading in her old sequoia and getting her an 08 & up sequoia. I could tow with that and keep her happy

• Like 1

The 5.7 L in the sequoia pretty beastly motor. I have it with my Tundra. Getting about 9.5~10 mpg's with 7k TT on the back. Power is not an issue.

Loved the motor and trans. of our 5.7 Sequoia.  It was fun to drive city and hwy.  We bought it to tow and life happened.  Couldn't justify 15 mpg at 18000 miles per year using it as a daily driver.  Only thing I hated was the storage behind the rear seat.  Sloped so that anything you put back there fell on you when you opened the back gate.   It should tow better than your 98 chevy, but it's still a 1/2 ton.