Handle bar accessories- what do you have on the LRP?

I have this Deltran SAE to USB connector, It powers either my Garmin Nuvi or my cell phone depending on what Ram adapter I  choose. Of course it is also a convenient spot to connect the battery tender if needed. My ram ball is a 9mm hole mount on the mirror thread. I also have the WC Tach/Hour meter in my cockpit. 

IMAG0826_zpsdvlyr7di.jpg

View from the seat: 

IMAG0825_zpsybbsdf7u.jpg

and this is my phone holder: 

IMG_20140321_085301_zpsfnlna1de.jpg

• Like 3

I use a handlebar mounted Garmin 450t gps for navigation and a DeLorme inReach for two way satellite communication and tracking. I went with a RAM mount system. Their mounts are awesome.... I've been impressed how secure the devices clip into the mounts. They are also very adjustable. This is the only pic I have with me.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard

post-351038-0-66510800-1399236087.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I use a handlebar mounted Garmin 450t gps for navigation and a DeLorme inReach for two way satellite communication and tracking. I went with a RAM mount system. Their mounts are awesome.... I've been impressed how secure the devices clip into the mounts. They are also very adjustable. This is the only pic I have with me.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard📎image.jpg📎image.jpg

What do you think about the Garmin 450? Does it do tracking so you can see where you have traveled? and how are the maps, pretty detailed offroad? 

I am getting ready to do a ride we call the "Cascade 500"  .. Its from Detroit Lake,Or to Medford,Or... it comes in at 494 miles so we just rounded up to 500 for that classic sounding title.

We will be traveling on lots of logging roads and the such, last year my navigator used paper maps and it was a bit sketchy for a bit, but we always got to our next camp location. With that being said I would like to run back navigation just for my own peace of mind. I figure if there is an offroad GPS that I can put in my own waypoints (hopefully via PC software) and then track where we are going, I can at least help us back track effectively if we need to.

Look forward to your insight!

What do you think about the Garmin 450? Does it do tracking so you can see where you have traveled? and how are the maps, pretty detailed offroad? 

I am getting ready to do a ride we call the "Cascade 500"  .. Its from Detroit Lake,Or to Medford,Or... it comes in at 494 miles so we just rounded up to 500 for that classic sounding title.

We will be traveling on lots of logging roads and the such, last year my navigator used paper maps and it was a bit sketchy for a bit, but we always got to our next camp location. With that being said I would like to run back navigation just for my own peace of mind. I figure if there is an offroad GPS that I can put in my own waypoints (hopefully via PC software) and then track where we are going, I can at least help us back track effectively if we need to.

Look forward to your insight!

I'm really happy with the 450T. I didn't see spending more money on their fancier models that included a camera. The 100k topo base map that comes pre loaded is detailed enough to have most logging roads. I still carry paper maps if I'm headed out into remote territory. You can also download all the other Garmin maps (extra $.) They have a 24k topo for Oregon and you can also download street maps for turn by turn directions etc... You can use a laptop to create routes and waypoints. It will do basic tracking.There are lots of good websites to help you figure it all out.

The inReach is better for tracking and is a life saving communication device. It pairs by Bluetooth to a smartphone or tablet and also can be used for navigation with downloaded topo maps. I really like the peace of mind the PLB provides when headed into back country areas. The earthmate tracking maps are easy to link to social media, email and you can even send by txt message. It's really cool! They no longer require an annual contract so it is also really affordable.

• Like 1

Any opinions on this? http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078055066085/Default.aspx

They don't have one specific for my phone because my phone is relatively ancient (HTC 7 Pro). Will their universal mount stand up to sustained 75+ mph winds (interstate travel)?

I think it would do fine against the wind on the highway. My phone (HTC One) fell out after a really bumpy run down a rough back road. I was lucky and it came loose as I pulled into a parking lot and didn't get damaged. I would not use it off road. Maybe if it was in landscape position it would have held better, cradled by the 'fingers' on the mount. Mine slipped loose from the position shown in my photo above. 

I think it would do fine against the wind on the highway. My phone (HTC One) fell out after a really bumpy run down a rough back road. I was lucky and it came loose as I pulled into a parking lot and didn't get damaged. I would not use it off road. Maybe if it was in landscape position it would have held better, cradled by the 'fingers' on the mount. Mine slipped loose from the position shown in my photo above. 

I wouldn't be using it offroad, I'm going on a trip to Colorado this summer (8-hour ride) and want to keep my phone where I can easily access it for GPS/music/radio stuff. The phone will be in my tank bag for safekeeping when I'm on the trails.

• Like 1

maybe a little velcro might help ....  :thinking:

• Like 2

Any opinions on this? http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078055066085/Default.aspx

They don't have one specific for my phone because my phone is relatively ancient (HTC 7 Pro). Will their universal mount stand up to sustained 75+ mph winds (interstate travel)?

i have the x-mount... that thing is awesome...  it holds my droid razor max WOT (85mph) just fine...  even 70-75mph with winds of 35+mph...  40+mph crosswinds when going over the canal bridges...  i actually have to duck on this one bridge... otherwise i will snake walk to the next lane... i swear it blows around 50+ there on some days....  

my phone stays....  i have even video'd with my phone... it does vibrate a little in the video, but the open back (x-mount) allows you to video if you would like... or even take still by just touching your screen while riding..  i love it..  

• Like 6

Looks nice and THANKS for recommending the windshield--I see we both bought the same one-- ? :ride:

for the price, you cant beat it... the slipstream one is the only other one as cheap, but after getting the maier windshield, i have no regrets...  i take it on off in a matter of a minute, it fits pretty well, it holds strong even at 80mph with serious head on and cross winds... its totally changed my commute...  i can ride at 80mph with one hand where before i would have blown off... lol  and in the rain, its WONDERFUL.... i just tuck a very little, and it blocks all the rain from my goggles...  love this thing... so what if the guy i work with that rides the husky 450 tells me i remind him of the "BMW adventure people"...   lol....

• Like 2