Sign in to follow this  

Electric bikes

What's everyone's opinion on them? Just watched a video on YouTube and there was a test drive done on the new ktm electrics and they don't seem that bad power wise? My only issue would be battery life but that could be sorted by detachable battery's so u could swap them out easily?

What's everyone's opinion on them? Just watched a video on YouTube and there was a test drive done on the new ktm electrics and they don't seem that bad power wise? My only issue would be battery life but that could be sorted by detachable battery's so u could swap them out easily?

Priced extra batteries? An extra battery for the Zero is $2995, on top of the $10k for the bike.

Another tank of gas is $15. I think I'll be sticking to gas for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Priced extra batteries? An extra battery for the Zero is $2995, on top of the $10k for the bike.

Another tank of gas is $15. I think I'll be sticking to gas for the foreseeable future.

Yes the price of batteries is actually ridiculous but in the near future there will be better technology for batteries,

It's an area that hasn't had much attention towards but if many company's like the idea and make an electric bike of there own it will be like current motorcycle company's except they will be competing on battery life not the engine

Without some sort of game-changing breakthrough in battery technology, electrics will remain in a niche unless/until the price of fossil fuels becomes high enough to make them a viable alternative.

Without some sort of game-changing breakthrough in battery technology, electrics will remain in a niche unless/until the price of fossil fuels becomes high enough to make them a viable alternative.

Does this mean we will have to ride around with a solar panel mounted to our rear fenders ?  :thumbsdn:

Does this mean we will have to ride around with a solar panel mounted to our rear fenders ? :thumbsdn:

It will be touted as the new fad, solar graphics!

Just don't ride at night!

• Like 1

I think riding without the sound of the engine would throw me off. I'd never want an electric bike

You could always hook up a amplifier to the fenders and blare braaaaap out of them haha

There dangerous my Mates growing ups father was deff and his battery was flat on his hearing aid, he was walking home threw a trail near his home and couldn't hear a trail bike screening around a bind corner and it hit him fro behind and it almost killed him he was messed up bad.. Get my point..

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

Electric bikes/cars are garbage. The money it takes to replace a battery is ridiculous, and they aren't so 'Eco friendly' when you consider the pollution created when making the batteries...

• Like 1

There dangerous my Mates growing ups father was deff and his battery was flat on his hearing aid, he was walking home threw a trail near his home and couldn't hear a trail bike screening around a bind corner and it hit him fro behind and it almost killed him he was messed up bad.. Get my point..

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

Walking trail or motorcycle trail? Regardless, e bikes are not silent like the wind. The tires, drive chain/sprockets and motor all make noise. The world is just more dangerous for a deaf person in general. The scenario you posted is isolated and hardly a reason to conclude that e bikes are "dangerous".

Hey Chokey, for some reason TT wasn't working for me last week and I was unable to reply to your (same) comment in the other thread on ebikes.

Yes, I agree for now the cost is prohibitive for most.  But electronics come down in price and these bikes/batteries will be no different.  The point is you can change a battery as quick as as re-fuel, so there is a solution to the problem. 

I still say it will be 10 years off before e-bikes are competitive with current offerings.  I'm hoping for 5 years for < 200lb 35hp bike what will last 45min MINIMUM on a charge.  That would be great for those with tracks/trails and neighbors.

...anyway I'm off to ride my 300 on my property.  I'm going to limit my time to 45mins as to not piss everyone off.  If I had an e-bike I would be out there until my hands were claws.

I love my kids OSET bikes (electric).  Since they are not making any noise, I can ride my 300 for longer :goofy:

Edited by Colorado^
  • Like 1

Not a fan of e bikes, mainly because batteries just suck. Anyway, I wonder if a suspension with coils built into them would help with range. All the bouncing and jumping involved in off roading may be the ticket to longer run times.

Don't bother trying to patent the idea, it's already been done (not by me). Not sure if it is in any vehicles atm, but I was thinking one night and figured I came up with a money maker for myself from the greenie &%$#@!. Took a few minutes to find out someone beat me to it.

Edited by Jethrobolas

You guys have no idea what your talking about.

And,

I can't wait to get an electric trials bike to "not" ride around IN my city.

• Like 1

id ride one given that chance and so would everyone else.  you cant tell me that youd say no if some one said here try my bike it rips