what's your average speed on trails?

I have been kind of keeping an eye on my trail speed. I live in Co and this time of yearI ride mostly 2 track. I avg 25-30 for most part. I dont think, imo, much faster is needed. My buddy cant ride unless its flatout. We rode today and hes bitching about quads and bikes and hikers all over and he cant have fun. I had a blast.

Just curious whats avg trail speed

Usually I start out pretty slow, gradually speeding up until I get going slightly faster than I should go, have a close call or get off, then slow down and start the process over.  :ride:

Pretty well sums up my riding too

At one point I knew that my average over the life of the bike (about three rides at the time) was 15 mph.  Now it's 20 mph (480 miles, 24 hours)

So 15-25 mph depending on if it's woods or desert.

Though now that I typed that, I realized that the Utah desert gave me the lowest speed on the highly technical 5 Miles of Hell trail, and the Eastern Oregon woods gave me the highest speed on the fast flowing ATV trails of Fort Rock.  Nothing is ever what it seems.

I guess that I go to fast because I have no clue of my speed. I watch the trail ahead, not my speedo or a stop watch. Reality is that every ride offers something different. From wide open dunes and gravel roads at full speed ahead, to gnarled up, twisty, root infested, rocky trails that keep me going slower. even different riding partners play a part in my speed.

• Like 2

I do the same as far as ramping up my speed until it gets hairy also. In the sand washes my bike likes it pinned in 4th and I like the. tight slow nasty trails more so than I like the 2 track. Where are you riding on Rampart?

I have been kind of keeping an eye on my trail speed. I live in Co and this time of yearI ride mostly 2 track. I avg 25-30 for most part. I dont think, imo, much faster is needed. My buddy cant ride unless its flatout. We rode today and hes bitching about quads and bikes and hikers all over and he cant have fun. I had a blast.

Zero!

That's what i see everytime I stop to look at the speedo!

50" wide, sandy ORV trails here in MI I average about 18-22 mph depending on how whooped out they are. The MCCT trails here ( = single track) are pretty tight in spots so my average drops to around 15 mph give or take a couple. I always reset the trip meter on my TT vector before I head out (crude gas gauge) so I always get curious afterwards and look what my average speed was for the ride. I don't race, just trail ride at a pace I find fun but safe and that's what they end up being when I don't also do some road miles.

Edited by michigan400
  • Like 1

I think this highly depends on the terrain.  I would bet most folks deal with rocks or steep hills which probably slows down speed significantly.  I ride in a lot of flat sand and pure loam.  Many trails can fit 2 quads side by side.  In the large quad trails, I usually start in 2nd and go up to 4th.  I think 4th pinned only looking on the street is around 45-50mph, but due to the power robbing nature of sand the speed on the trail may be lower.  Turns are 2nd- 3rd most of the time.  Single track is 2nd with hitting 3rd in open areas.

I think this is also relative, as 30mph in tight woods trails is pretty fast, but 30mph on high tension lines is slow.  Will have to look next time.

Last time I checked mine it was low 20's - no higher than 25.  I checked it with my GPS that averages speed so it's accurate. This is on logging roads and mostly 2-track. When you consider getting around/thru water holes, stopping at trail crossroads, etc., to have a 25 mph. average IS moving along pretty good.

BTW- I'm trying to slow down because I see those trees too....but 5th. gear feels SOOOO good!

Edited by motoxvet
  • Like 1

I definitely ride singletrack all the time, I don't average 25 to 30 MPH!  My bike has 187.2 hours on it, and right at 2900 miles (it's on the odometer at the house).  So that averages to 15.49 MPH. 

But speed is relative to the terrain I'm riding.  5 MPH is really fast when you are riding through nasty rocky creek beds that require duckpaddling my way through, but 40 MPH is slow for some trails that are open and fast paced.

• Like 1