Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on which of two CRF250Xs to buy

Please excuse my ignorance.  I'm new to this, but looking forward to learning more.

I'm looking to buy a CRF250X, and have narrowed it down to two bikes.  I'd like some help deciding between the two.

One is a 2011 that was bought new in September 2013.  It has about 7 hours on it.

The other is a 2008, bought new in 2010.  It has 150-160 hours on it, had the valves reset last year, and has been regularly maintained by the dealer.

All of these facts are of course based only on what the seller is telling me.  I can confirm that the 2011 was bought last September, as the seller forwarded me the bill of sale.

The newer bike is $1200 more.

I'd be happy with the older bike, but I would regret it if I'm much closer to needing major maintenance that would eat up a lot of the price difference.  I'm not yet comfortable doing anything more involved than an oil chance myself, and would therefore be paying for all the labour.

Does the age of the older bike mean it's likely close to needing some expensive service?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Edited by devenyi

Go with the newer bike yes its more money but it will run for a good long time without giving you any trouble,the one with 160hours it going to need things done on it in time but its your call.

Thanks Martin,

That's the way I was leaning, but I figured I would ask since the bikes have remained relatively unchanged.  I'd rather spend a little more upfront to prolong the need for inevitable service!

I think I'd go with the newer one as well.  While the bikes are largely unchanged, there are differences from year to year at times.    From 2009 and up though, nothing changed.  From 2008 to 2009, a few things did.

So buying the newer bike gets you the best possible one.     But more importantly, it's the wear on the engine and tranny.   You don't know what those first 150 or so hours were like on the older bike.  You said the valves were reset, but it's not really clear what that means.   Did they put in stainless steel valves, replace the piston and rings, etc, or simply re-shim the valves back into spec?

So assuming the worst, a top end would run in the range of $500-$600, and that's with you doing the tear-down and reassembly.  Have someone else doing it, and you have a couple hours of shop time on top of that (usually $80 - $100/hr).

Since it sounds like your new to bikes, I would go with the newer one.

Only question I'm asking is why are they getting rid of it after seven hours?

Jim.

Thanks Jim,

The seller says he bought it to ride with his son, and he quickly realized it's much more bike than he needs for that. I can't be certain whether or not it's true, but I'm hoping for the best!

I've paid a deposit, and it's being delivered tomorrow!

Thanks again for the advice,

Tyler

The seller says he bought it to ride with his son, and he quickly realized it's much more bike than he needs for that. I can't be certain whether or not it's true, but I'm hoping for the best!

Well, that sort of adds up....seven hours or so of riding would give you a good feel for the bike.

But are you buying this sight unseen?  That's never a good idea.

Jim.

Well, that sort of adds up....seven hours or so of riding would give you a good feel for the bike.

But are you buying this sight unseen? That's never a good idea.

Jim.

I've given him a deposit to cover his expenses to get here. He lives two hours away, and since I have no way of transporting the bike right now (nor do I have time to do the two hour drive) this is the best way for me to do it. Hopefully everything checks out when he gets here, because I'm getting pretty excited!

Well we'll keep our fingers crossed that it all works out, but luck is not what you really need<g>.

Obviously look it over well.  Look for anything leaking, missing or broken spokes, etc.   At only seven hours, it should look new, show no real signs of wear on the tires, not a lot of scratches, etc.    Check the engine oil dip stick.  Should be full and the oil should be quite clear.  If it's dark/black, then it has far more then seven hours on it.   Given the bill of sale and the story, I think the only real worry is if they crashed it a few times.  So look for things like squished radiators, etc.

Jim.