Sign in to follow this  

Arizona Riding in Rio Rico and Nogales areas May 11, 12

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in riding with me on either date?

May 11

I'm planning to ride towards Arivaca. There's an abandoned mine area that I like, so will play there for a couple hours. Then Arivaca for lunch & fuel. Then I'd like to take Ruby Road for a bit, I'll probably head into Warsaw Canyon to California Gulch and do that loop. Depending on time and temperature, we'll either finish up Ruby Road and loop back to staging area on the road or head back the way we came. If you don't know the area, and are on a big bike We'll probably take the 15 min Interstate ride back to wherever we stage. If bikes aren't suitable we can take Pendelton back to where ever we decide to stage. (Staging area to be decided but I have some good ideas, maybe Amado?)

Probably start around 9. 

May 12

Haven't decided yet, but am leaning on riding out by Flux Canyon/Harshaw Ghost town area. I found this "sky island" type place up there and I want to see it again. I'll probably head towards Montezumo Canyon. This one is mostly dirt road with some "Hey lets see where this goes" moments. That said, I'm quite interested in riding some new terrain so if you know the area I'm up for seeing some different terrain.

Probably start around the same time, maybe a bit earlier.

I ride a DR650, both rides are two track but the May 12 is more like dirt roads, both days will have some pavement too. You'll need dirt tires and a similar bike for May 11. I have Kenda 270s on my DR. I'm a very experienced rider but the is my first year riding in the desert. Anyone's welcome, we'll ride to the lowest skill level in the group. I don't hesitate to turn around if the trail(s) get too tough for me. You'll need a plated bike.

I'd like to keep the group small-ish, manageable but we can always divide up into smaller groups.

I'm also looking for new areas to ride not too far from there, so feel free to suggest some areas even if you aren't coming along. :)

Chris.

Sounds like a couple of great rides... But it's both my moms bday and my bday and Mother's Day for my mom and wife... I'd get neutered if I went. Maybe next time. Ride safe.

Hey Fellas,

I forgot about that, I'm single and family lives elsewhere so I'm still going. May 11/12 and 17/18 are my last weekends to ride before I head back to Canada for the summer. If anyone's interested I'm planning to ride May 17/18 as well (providing I don't break my bike the previous weekend. :) ) I will likely do something similar. I'm planning to do some scouting during the week.

After this weekend I'll post my plans and see if anyone's interested.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hey Hezz,

I won't be out Saturday, I'll be out Sunday and Monday. (May 11/12) but I will be out Sat/Sun the following weekend.

Chris.

Hey Hezz,

Sounds good. These two weekends are (probably) my last riding weekends out there until Sept/Oct. I'll be back in Canada for the summer.

I'll be in touch.

Chris.

Chris - sorry we didn't get to ride together this go round. Hopefully next winter... Yes?

Hezz - how's it going brother? Good to see you up on the net. We gotta ride again too.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Chris - sorry we didn't get to ride together this go round. Hopefully next winter... Yes?

Hezz - how's it going brother? Good to see you up on the net. We gotta ride again too.

Cheers!

Definitely! I've been going down there and laying down more GPS tracks recently. Can't believe how many miles of trails there are. Just been out riding solo and exploring.

Went down and staged in Amado on Saturday. Guy from my local club came along. Had a good ride until we were making our way back to the trucks. Piston on his YZ125 seized. That is the 3rd 125 I've seen melt down in the past couple months. Don't think the little small bores care for the desert to much.

Well, that sucks. To be truthful, the desert is harsh on bikes, especially as it gets hotter, the dust of course, and its really no place for the smaller bikes (2 or 4 strokes). Just too much open space. Just my 2 cents. Hope its just a quick hone and back on the trails.

• Like 2

I had a good ride too. I felt lazy and ended up going up to Whippel Observatory and then exploring some of the forestry roads that run off that road. 

Sorry to hear about your friend's bike. 

I'm looking for local clubs. I was going to start a Meetup DS group for Tucson but I'd rather join an existing club. Any chance you could share some links? 

Chris.

Edited by _chris_