Sign in to follow this  

2008 crf250r will not kick start after rebuild

Just did a complete rebuild. New crank, high comp piston,valves, decomp mod, carb rebuild with jet kit.  It was broke in and has about 2 hours on it.  Now, the bike will not kick start on a regular basis.  I rechecked the valve clearances and they are at spec.  It will bump start extremely easy hot and cold. 

Any ideas how to make it start by kicking it?????

Describe wont kick. Kicker wont move? Works properly but wont.fire up? What? How does it run once you bump it? Does it run and idle properly? Have you checked the plug? If it worked fine then suddenly stopped working, i would suspect that either the valves or plug need attention or the head bolts are lose. Have you checked the oil for coolant? Have you retorqued the head? Otherwise you could have a piston/ring issue. My experience is that if a bike starts only by bumping its a compresion issue. ie valves, headgasket, piston. Or a gummed up carb.

Edited by Goforaride

Cheak your pilot screw setting if its to far out as in rich it makes for hard starting,does it start cold ok?

Cold, one time it will start in 5 or 6 kicks, the next time it won't start in 50.  When it's hot, it might start with 1 kick but it usually takes so many your leg gets tired.  I think the pilot screw is out 1.75 turns right now. 

Describe wont kick. Kicker wont move? Works properly but wont.fire up? What? How does it run once you bump it? Does it run and idle properly? Have you checked the plug? If it worked fine then suddenly stopped working, i would suspect that either the valves or plug need attention or the head bolts are lose. Have you checked the oil for coolant? Have you retorqued the head? Otherwise you could have a piston/ring issue. My experience is that if a bike starts only by bumping its a compresion issue. ie valves, headgasket, piston. Or a gummed up carb.

The kicker works fine.  The engine wont fire.  When you bump start it, it runs great.  Idle is fine.  New plug but I did try the old one also.  The head bolts were retorqued.  No oil in the coolant.  The piston/ring is also new.  The carb has been cleaned and rebuilt. 

Until you get the carb dialed in perfect , blip the throttle slightly right after the end of your kick stroke , that's what we do cold after two full twists and choke pulled fires up every time. Unlike my FI 11 lol . Every time I fire the 06 up I look over at the 11 and give it the bird lol!!!

How do you start your bike from cold,I personaly turn fuel on three twists of throttle choke on one or two kicks and its runing dont touch the throttle when kicking it just a touch of gas once it fires up.once you get your bike started go for a short ride to warm it up pull over somewhere safe put bike in newtral leave it ideling for a few seconds now pull your hot start in about 1/8 inch after the free play has been taken up reves should rise slightly if you pull it all the way it should stop,if it justs keeps on reving turn your fuel screw in some more and try it again,to much fuel in a hot motor makes for hard hot starting you need oxygen in a hot cylinder with some fuel to get good hot starting, not lots of fuel with little or no oxygen and do not set the idel to low as this does not help things let us know how you get on.