Sign in to follow this  

Trouble getting into First Gear

2006 CRF230f.

I'm having trouble getting into first. Cable tension and slack all with specs. I can push on the gear selector a million times, and it won't engage. If I go up to second, no problem. Going from neutral or 2nd down to first, it will happen. It's somewhat sporadic, but I'm noticing it more.

Any ideas?

As long as your shift lever is not loose on the shaft, Sounds a lot like you need to pull clutch cover and possibly clutch assy to access shifter spindle, stopper arm and gearshift cam on shift drum.

You might have a loose gearshift cam attachment bolt?

Tighten all shifter assy 6mm bolts to 7-9 ft lbs. remove oil residue first with brake clean, and use blue locktite if you find any that were loose.

You got a factory Honda OEM shop manual? If not get one first!

It's an easy repair with the factory manual !!!!

Good luck and let us all know what you found.

As long as your shift lever is not loose on the shaft, Sounds a lot like you need to pull clutch cover and possibly clutch assy to access shifter spindle, stopper arm and gearshift cam on shift drum.

You might have a loose gearshift cam attachment bolt?

Tighten all shifter assy 6mm bolts to 7-9 ft lbs. remove oil residue first with brake clean, and use blue locktite if you find any that were loose.

You got a factory Honda OEM shop manual? If not get one first!

It's an easy repair with the factory manual !!!!

Good luck and let us all know what you found.

Thanks. Will do.

We must start from the first step.

Have you checked oil level?

Yes. A hair under full line and it was changed 2 weeks ago with oem recommended Honda oil.

Adnohguy gave you good advice.

I also noticed in my crf230 that the gears engages is a bit rough, this defect is accentuated with a warm engine.

I think you have checked the clutch lever adjustment: 2mm of slack. At least.

It should also double check the lever pin hole, because sometimes becomes oval and the lever does all his work.

Sorry for my English.

Edited by Crossplayer

2006 CRF230f.

I'm having trouble getting into first. Cable tension and slack all with specs. I can push on the gear selector a million times, and it won't engage. If I go up to second, no problem. Going from neutral or 2nd down to first, it will happen. It's somewhat sporadic, but I'm noticing it more.

Any ideas?

Did I under stand it will go to first from second sometimes while riding but not when you shift to first from neutral?

Did I under stand it will go to first from second sometimes while riding but not when you shift to first from neutral?

No. It will not slip out of gear. It will go down to first from 2nd MOST times while riding. It's from neutral to first that's the problem.

So tonight I warmed it up really good because I was fine tuning the carb. After that I took it for a run, the first time I tried to out I in first, nothing. Then after that it went in every time perfectly. I don't get it.

I double checked the cables, etc. all good. Put the bike on the stand and put it in first with the clutch in, the rear wheel started moving instantly. I could stop it by hand with effort. Once stopped, it barely moved.