Sign in to follow this  

jumps ( Crash ) what to do

so i have been riding along time and got out of mx years ago. as 22 now i am getting back into it

so there is a double ( Table top)

i came off riding a 450 to a 250.  the way this track is-

left handed hard berm turn step up to a off camber throttle on right turn up a hill to a 3rd gear pinned left to this table top

i commited to this jump without rolling it during the race and it was bad new - first time on track didnt get to practice or roll it at all

i was 3rd gear pinned hit the lip and got thrown off line. tapped the back brake a little but did not shift mid air.

i overshot the landing a little to much and started to ride away

rear end kicked out and i went down and down hard

i laid the bike on its side and let go and slid about 20 ft on my face and hand

broke my right ring finger at the joint

i got up and finished 5th overall

my question is.. how to i come into a jump knowing which gear if needing to upshift or downshift each jump and keep my landing perfect rather then cased or bottomed?

My finger. Going to the orthopedic surgeon monday.

Advice would be great. As soon as I am released I am going to hit it again

1399240533602.jpg

1399240546977.jpg

1399240559577.jpg

I know I made the mistake when I landed as I was leading but had someone right on my tail. When I landed landed I was not on the throttle and got on it but to late.

Some advice on throttle to distance and shifting in air would be great

I mean, how do you know what gear to do something in, unless you've seen it? Not doing any practice, was clearly the mistake. You've gotta at least roll the jump to get a sense of what its like, even the pro's mess this up on a regular basis. Bad shits gonna happen if you've gotta flat-out make a guess at something without even seeing it. What actually caused you to crash is kinda inconsequential because I'm sure by the time you finished the race, you knew how to do the jump. 

Your finger looks pretty good,  though you'll have to have a split for a while because joints can be tough to heal. 

I mean, how do you know what gear to do something in, unless you've seen it? Not doing any practice, was clearly the mistake. You've gotta at least roll the jump to get a sense of what its like, even the pro's mess this up on a regular basis. Bad shits gonna happen if you've gotta flat-out make a guess at something without even seeing it. What actually caused you to crash is kinda inconsequential because I'm sure by the time you finished the race, you knew how to do the jump. 

Your finger looks pretty good,  though you'll have to have a split for a while because joints can be tough to heal. 

yea i have it in a splint for now after the hospital. hopefully the ortho just says keep it splinted and doesnt wanna cut me open.

really sucks but yea after it i figured it out although i was really timid about it. it is such a fast course i started scrubbing it.

that was actually what i was going to do in the beginning but couldnt commit and ended up 40 ft in the air for some reason!

time off the bike really stinks as that is all i have to do around here!