Sign in to follow this  

small upgrades

hi 

in the uk on my A2 license you are only alowed up to 47 bhp and i know a standard drz 400 sm is 33 bhp what performance can i squeeze for the extra 14 bhp. 

and what is the bhp increase of a full yoshi rs2 system and will i need to do the 3x3 mod and then dyno if so what is the average bhp increase. 

cheers 

Edited by -OJ-

One cost-effective way to get power is to change the carb to a CVK40 from a KLR 650, hot cams, E head pipe if you can find one - otherwise an aftermarket exhaust. (Not a slip-on only!) An MRD exhaust can make the most power but is afaik crazy loud so I wouldn't. Maybe install a thinner base gasket to raise compression as well. (It's a bit of work for not THAT much gain, so ...)

I *personally* wouldn't do more expensive modifications to a DR-Z such as a big-bore, stroker crank - unless you break something and need to replace. FCR carb is good for power but I'd also put that kind of money in the get-another-bike fund.

• Like 1

Re. the max. power figure - the "50 hp kit" that's widely available goes to 50hp obviously :) ... and it includes a big bore, so it's safe to say that you won't go over 47hp without one.

And yes, you really do want to do the 3x3 airbox hole and rejet accordingly ... but you don't necessarily need to dyno after it. Most people don't.

• Like 1

hi 

in the uk on my A2 license you are only alowed up to 47 bhp and i know a standard drz 400 sm is 33 bhp what performance can i squeeze for the extra 14 bhp. 

and what is the bhp increase of a full yoshi rs2 system and will i need to do the 3x3 mod and then dyno if so what is the average bhp increase. 

cheers 

Do they rate the HP at the crank or the rear wheel..?

hi 

cheers

Well ..:rolleyes:

How could the Government monitor this ? , you could run 55 H/P and the only way they would know is by Dyno .

You get stopped by the Ol ' Bill , receive a work order ..Leg it 'Ome .. remove some fruity bits and get it Re tested .

• Like 2

Well .. :rolleyes:

How could the Government monitor this ? , you could run 55 H/P and the only way they would know is by Dyno .

You get stopped by the Ol ' Bill , receive a work order ..Leg it 'Ome .. remove some fruity bits and get it Re tested .

Good idea M8.......But If they did roadside testing you would screwed....

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Good idea M8.......But I they did roadside testing you would screwed....

Yeah .. I can't see them towing a Rolling Road Around , there are many ways to get around this anyway .. Having a isolation switch hidden so the bike won't start is one of many .

• Like 1

Yeah .. I can't see them towing a Rolling Road Around , .. 

M8 , remember we are talking about an establishment that has stopped Suzuki selling new road/trail bikes..... :shocked:

Anything is possible.... :eek:  :smirk:

• Like 1

hi 

cheers 

How would it be possible for the government of your country to ever know if you have, say, 50 HP?  Are they so power mad that they dyno test bikes randomly?  I get the license restriction as far as stock bikes you are allowed to ride with whatever license level you have, but do they actually test motorcycles for HP?  How could they know if a bike was modified except for the exhaust?

• Like 1